latent change score model probably not identified

simone.j...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2018, 9:19:56 AM11/13/18
to lavaan
Hi,

I'm estimating a latent change score model with three waves of data. The latent factor has three indicators at each measurement occasion. My hypothesis is that change between time 1 and time 2 affects change between time 2 and time 3.

I specified the following model syntax:

mymodel2 <- '
#measurement model for three waves of data
tau1 =~ phq_1 + phq_2 + phq_3
tau2 =~ A_phq_1 + A_phq_2 + A_phq_3
tau3 =~ E_phq_1 + E_phq_2 + E_phq_3

#allow for correlations of error terms between measurement occasions
phq_1 ~~ A_phq_1
phq_1 ~~ E_phq_1
A_phq_1 ~~ E_phq_1
phq_2 ~~ A_phq_2
phq_2 ~~ E_phq_2
A_phq_2 ~~ E_phq_2
phq_3 ~~ A_phq_3
phq_3 ~~ E_phq_3
A_phq_3 ~~ E_phq_3

#latent change scores
tau2 ~ 1*tau1
changetau12 =~ 1*tau2
tau3 ~ 1*tau2
changetau23 =~ 1*tau2

#regression
changetau23 ~ changetau12
'

fit1 <- sem(model = mymodel2, data = PHQ_C)

when I estimate the model, I get the following warning message:

#  In lav_model_vcov(lavmodel = lavmodel, lavsamplestats = lavsamplestats,  :
#                      lavaan WARNING: could not compute standard errors!
#                      lavaan NOTE: this may be a symptom that the model is not identified.

Some model parameters are still estimated and the output states there are 13 df. I'm guessing there's a local identification problem with the latent change scores, but I can't figure out what's wrong with the model. Could anyone provide guidance?

Any hints will be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Simone

Terrence Jorgensen

Nov 22, 2018, 8:47:27 AM11/22/18
to lavaan
#latent change scores
tau2 ~ 1*tau1
changetau12 =~ 1*tau2
tau3 ~ 1*tau2
changetau23 =~ 1*tau2

#regression
changetau23 ~ changetau12
'

I think these models require fixing some variances to zero for identification.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Assistant Professor, Methods and Statistics

Message has been deleted