Multigroup CFA Invariance Tests (help making it more difficult)

Gary Burns

Feb 6, 2019, 5:55:53 PM2/6/19
to lavaan
Greetings, my google searches have failed me, so I'm turning this google group instead.

I understand the great shortcuts that lavaan has in place to help me test different levels of variance, but now I need to turn those off and do some work manually.

I'll give two examples of things that I could do other programs but that I'm having a hard time doing in lavaan.

Example 1
I'm comparing 5 items on a single factor across two groups. I have loading variance, as measured by a significant increase in misfit, and I think it comes from item five. I now want to constrain items 1-4 to be invariant across groups but allow 5 to freely estimate.

Example 2
I'm comparing 5 items on a single factor across three groups. I have loading variance, as measured by a significant increase in misfit, and now I want to explore my data further. Specifically, I want to compare groups 1 and 2 allowing 3 to be freely estimated. (I can do this by subsetting my data and comparing just 1 and 2 without 3, but lets assume I really want three in there).

Suggestions for resources that would help me make those kinds of tests? I'm leaning towards mplus2lavaan or lisrel2lavaan, but if possible I would like to keep it all in the native language.

car...@web.de

Feb 7, 2019, 2:22:11 AM2/7/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Hi, such things are explained very well in the tutorial: http://lavaan.ugent.be/tutorial/groups.html

Gary Burns

Feb 7, 2019, 7:51:38 AM2/7/19
to lavaan
I wanted to disagree with you, but there is a paragraph there that I missed. Exactly what I wanted. Now I wish I hadn't spent so much time exploring lisrel2lavaan.

For others, I'm copying it below:

Fixing parameters in some groups, but not all

Sometimes, we wish to fix the value of a parameter in all groups, except for one particular group. In this group, we wish to freely estimate the value of that parameter. The modifier for this parameter is again a vector containing the fixed values for this parameter for each group, but we can use NA to force a parameter to be free in one (or more) group(s). Suppose for example we have four groups. We define a latent variable (say f) with three indicators. We wish to fix the factor loading of indicator item2 to 1.0 in all but the second group. We can write something like

f =~ item1 + c(1,NA,1,1)*item2 + item3