Warning message when using estimator="WLSMV"

Theuns

Jun 4, 2019, 7:07:13 AM6/4/19
to lavaan
Dear lavaan community,

I am new to lavaan and would appreciate your guidance on the following issue.

When I try to test the simple two-factor CFA model shown below using the WLSMV option in lavaan in a large dataset (n = 1 523) with no missing values, I get the warning message shown in red below.

> CFAmodel2 <- '

     SQ_SAT =~ Q3_1 + Q3_2 + Q3_3 + Q3_4 + Q3_5 + Q3_6
     Loyalty =~ Q5_1 + Q5_2 + Q5_3 + Q5_4

 '

> fit <- cfa(CFAmodel2, data=my_data, estimator="WLSMV", ordered = c("Q3_1", "Q3_2", "Q3_3", "Q3_4", "Q3_5", "Q3_6", "Q5_1", "Q5_2", "Q5_3", "Q5_4"))

Warning message:
In lav_model_vcov(lavmodel = lavmodel, lavsamplestats = lavsamplestats,  :
  lavaan WARNING:
    The variance-covariance matrix of the estimated parameters (vcov)
    does not appear to be positive definite! The smallest eigenvalue
    (= 9.027647e-18) is close to zero. This may be a symptom that the
    model is not identified.

> summary(fit, fit.measures = TRUE, estimates=TRUE, standardized = TRUE, rsquare = TRUE, nd=5)

I have the following questions:

1. Can I ignore this warning message and use the model estimates produced by lavaan?

2. If not, which alternative estimator should I rather use given that the manifest variables were all measured with 5-point Likert scales? The responses on these scales all have a strong "ceiling effect" with more than 90% of respondents having selected either a 4 or a 5 on the 5-point scale in all cases.

3. Is there some other way to resolve the issue causing warning message?

Thank you for your inputs.

Kind regards,

Theuns

Terrence Jorgensen

Jun 6, 2019, 7:24:55 AM6/6/19
to lavaan
1. Can I ignore this warning message and use the model estimates produced by lavaan?

Your model is identified, so I think you can.

The responses on these scales all have a strong "ceiling effect" with more than 90% of respondents having selected either a 4 or a 5 on the 5-point scale in all cases.

So < 150 responded to one of the 3 lowest categories?  If the extreme categories are quite low N, then those estimates could be quite unstable, and probably causing the warning (which is caused by near-redundancy among some parameter estimates).

3. Is there some other way to resolve the issue causing warning message?

Consider collapsing the 2 lowest categories if N is so low that the threshold estimate is unstable.  But if your model converged and you have SEs, I wouldn't worry about it.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Assistant Professor, Methods and Statistics

Theuns Kotze

Jun 6, 2019, 7:45:02 AM6/6/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Dear Terrence,

Thank you for your insightful reply. It is most helpful.

Best regards,

Theuns

Theuns Kotzé
E-mail: tgk...@gmail.com