Random-Intercept Cross-Lagged Panel Model with auxiliary variables

Ulrich Schroeders

Sep 11, 2021, 5:38:06 AM9/11/21
to lavaan
Hi!

I'm estimating a random-intercept cross-lagged panel model (RI-CLPM; Hamaker et al., 2015) and need to incorporate some background variables (age, sex, education) into the imputation model to improve fiml-based handling of missingness. Using the auxiliary function of the semTools automatically creates correlations between the observed variables and the covariates (covariates ~~ obs_vars).

But since the latent variables are single indicator variables, I wonder if the correct way to specify this model, is to correlate the covariates to all latent variables in the model (covariates ~~ lat_vars). This seems to result in reasonable parameter estimates and only slight corrections as I would have been expected because I'm improving the imputation model only.

Thanks in advance for any comment, Kind regards
Ulrich

Ulrich Schroeders

Sep 11, 2021, 9:19:06 AM9/11/21
to lavaan
I have to add/correct two things:
First, I should have written "analysis model" instead of "imputation model", since we are talking about FIML.
Second, the X^2 is identical, also parameter estimates for all effects. What differs are df (and fit statistics) and, of course, the relations to the covariates.

Kind regards
Ulrich

Message has been deleted

Atanas Janackovski

Sep 15, 2021, 6:38:47 AM9/15/21
to lavaan
Have you seen this: https://jeroendmulder.github.io/RI-CLPM/lavaan.html

This covers covariates... Not sure if it applies the same restrictions as what you're requiring/suggesting

Ulrich Schroeders

Sep 15, 2021, 6:51:50 AM9/15/21
to lavaan
This is a great resource, I'm familiar with.
I think the question about the auxiliary-variables-fiml-thing isn't cover here.
Nonetheless, thx.
Kind regards
Ulrich

Atanas Janackovski

Sep 15, 2021, 6:59:35 AM9/15/21
to lavaan
No worries. I'm interested in learning more  about your approach. Can you point me in the direction of something that might help me understand and implement it?

Atanas Janackovski

Sep 15, 2021, 7:11:26 AM9/15/21
to lavaan

Atanas Janackovski

Sep 17, 2021, 7:27:18 PM9/17/21
to lavaan
Hey Ulrich,

I am now trying something similar to what you are suggesting in this post. I'm wondering whether you freely estimated the means for your covariates in your syntax, i.e., 'covariates ~ 1'?

Cheers,
Atanas