Is it possible to estimate all factor loading with equality constraint? for common method bias check

Ziaul Munim

Nov 2, 2018, 4:12:33 PM11/2/18
to lavaan
Hi,
I am running common method bias check for one of my study. The approach I am following suggests to create a common factor (see my common factor below) with all indicators of original factors, and setting factor loadings to be equal for each indicator. As in lavaan the first factor loading is set to 1, I am getting inflated variance explained by the common factor. Now my question is, can I freely estimate the loading of first indicator as well as set it equal to other indicator's factor loading? If so, how? I already tried putting (x*NA) for FINC1! didn't work!

common=~FINC1+x*FINC2+x*ATT1+x*ATT2+x*ATT3+x*ATT4+x*ATT6+x*PBC2+x*PBC3+x*PBC4+x*SELE1+x*SELE3+x*SELE4

Thank you.

Edward Rigdon

Nov 2, 2018, 5:18:20 PM11/2/18
to lav...@googlegroups.com
You can refer to the same variable twice in the syntax, with differnt modifiers:
common =~ NA*FINC1 +x*FINC1 + x*FINC2 +
The set the variance of the factor to 1 either by using the "std.lv=T" option within the sem() function, or else explicitly setting the variance of common to 1 with
common~~1*common

Ziaul Munim

Nov 2, 2018, 5:36:26 PM11/2/18
to lavaan
Thank you very much for the help!

Leonardo Martins

Nov 4, 2018, 9:15:29 PM11/4/18
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

This is a very interesting issue.

I could not find many other similiar examples using Lavaan after googling about common method bias (cmb).

What would be the next step to check cmb. Would you mind to share some references using Lavaan.

Thank you in adavance,

PS: I hope not be completely off topic
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile