Standard Error Printed as NA for Single Parameter

Andrew Grotzinger

May 6, 2020, 1:48:19 PM5/6/20
to lavaan
Hello,

I'm running a model that produces an NA for a single residual variance parameter and lavaan does not print any error messages when running the model. The point estimate for this specific is .0001, but it is freely estimated and not estimated at 0. I'm hoping someone could explain why lavaan prints an NA in this case, and also whether the delta and weight matrix are still appropriate to use for later calculations that we perform when a single parameter is printed to have NA for a SE. Code used to run the model and model output are attached. Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Best,
  Andrew
MyEnv.RData
SE_NA_Example.R

Mijke Rhemtulla

May 10, 2020, 1:17:47 AM5/10/20
to lavaan
It looks like this issue is a function of the sample size entered when you fit the model. If you do N = 4 instead of N = 2, the weight matrix is unchanged but that SE goes from NA to a (small) estimated value.

Andrew Grotzinger

May 10, 2020, 7:55:17 PM5/10/20
to lavaan
This is super informative, thank you!

Sassi Maria

May 11, 2020, 7:12:09 AM5/11/20
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, so much, for the useful information.
Maria

Prof. Maria Sassi
Department of Economics and Management
University of Pavia
President Genius Loci SrL - spin-off accredited by the University of Pavia
Local director Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree
in International Development Studies

Orcid n.0000-0002-6114-6826

Via. S. Felice 5 - 27100 Pavia - Italy
t. +39-0382986465