Indirect effects with multiple group analysis

Amanda

Jul 25, 2018, 2:39:57 PM7/25/18
to lavaan
Hi everyone,

I am running a multiple groups analysis with five groups. I have already figured out which groups should be allowed to vary, and which groups must be constrained. My question is how I can run indirect effects now. The problem is that I have already asked the program to constrain (or not) the groups. The way I have been taught to calculate indirect effects is to essentially multiple a letter by the path you want and then use the argument ab := a*c. This is problematic with a multiple groups analysis because I already am multiplying the constrained (c) function with letters on the path.

E.g. With the Multiple groups analysis I have:

#Direct Effects
          SWL ~ c(a,a,a,a,a)*SELF_ESTEEM + c(o,o,p,q,o)*FRS_IC + c(z,z,d,d,z)*FRS_EC + dsex + PARENT_EDUCATION
#Mediators
          SELF_ESTEEM ~ c(k,k,k,k,k)*FRS_IC + c(t,u,u,v,v)**FRS_EC

I need the path from Self_Esteem to SWL to be a ( SWL ~ a*SELF_ESTEEM) and the path from FRS_IC to Self_Esteem to be b ( SELF_ESTEEM ~ b*FRS_IC) and then
ab : = a*b.

Does anyone know how to get around this problem of having the constraint multipled and labeling the paths? I want the indirect effects for all groups to be run. Any help would be appreciated.

Terrence Jorgensen

Jul 29, 2018, 6:23:19 PM7/29/18
to lavaan
I want the indirect effects for all groups to be run

Then just define the indirect effect for each group using the parameters for that groups.  The fact that some parameters in the calculation will overlap because of the constraints is irrelevant to how an indirect effect is calculated.  For the first, second, and third groups, for example, the indirect effect of FRS_EC on SWL via SELF_ESTEEM would be:

indEC_g1 := t*o
indEC_g2
:= u*o
indEC_g3
:= u*p

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Postdoctoral Researcher, Methods and Statistics