Multilevel CFA with intercept invariance across levels

Leoni

Aug 14, 2020, 3:38:02 AM8/14/20
to lavaan
Is it possible to do a multilevel CFA where I have different loadings AND intercepts across Level 1 and level 2.

I want to use umultilevel models to disentangle the structure on level1 and level 2, allowing for different structures across levels. Eventually, however I am only interested in the Level 1 model and want to get intercepts and loadings for the items on that level. But I believe that the intercepts are at level 2 right? How do I interpret the intercepts that I get from the level 2 model in relation to the level 1 structure?

I'm curious if what I am thinking about is possible with lavaan?

Terrence Jorgensen

Aug 17, 2020, 4:42:23 PM8/17/20
to lavaan
Is it possible to do a multilevel CFA where I have different loadings AND intercepts across Level 1 and level 2.

That is the default.  You would have to add constraints to your syntax to make them equal.

Eventually, however I am only interested in the Level 1 model

Then perhaps only request cluster-robust results by fitting a one-level model, but still specifying the cluster= argument.

and want to get intercepts and loadings for the items on that level. But I believe that the intercepts are at level 2 right? How do I interpret the intercepts that I get from the level 2 model in relation to the level 1 structure?

The level-1 intercepts are fixed to zero by definition because the data at level-1 are cluster-mean centered.  The data at level-2 are cluster means.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Assistant Professor, Methods and Statistics

Nhung Nguyen

Jan 15, 2024, 3:01:14 PMJan 15
to lavaan
Can you please help me with an example of the R code for doing multilevel CFA as well as the cluster argument if I have 1-1-1 model. Thank you very much for your help with this.

Vào lúc 21:42:23 UTC+1 ngày Thứ Hai, 17 tháng 8, 2020, Terrence Jorgensen đã viết: