Is data of 5 points likert scale exogenous?

ss xx

Jun 28, 2020, 3:17:20 AM6/28/20
to lavaan
I have 5 points likert scale,such as:
q12,My freiends are all good friends
1.strongly disagree
2.disagree
3.undecided
4.agree
5.stongly agee

In lavaan `cfa(model,df)`, should I add `ordered=colnames(df)`?

Guido

Jun 28, 2020, 4:04:09 AM6/28/20
to lavaan
Likert scales are ordinal i.e. categorical and not continues so you have to declare them as ordered for your CFA.
See https://lavaan.ugent.be/tutorial/cat.html

ss xx

Jun 28, 2020, 12:52:47 PM6/28/20
to lavaan
If variable is exogenous,we don't need to `ordered`,is that right?
I cannot control testee's choice, then I think likert scale data is exogenous,is that right?

Guido

Jun 29, 2020, 2:42:07 AM6/29/20
to lavaan
I'm not sure I understand your question. Any variable that is part of your model, is endogenous.  An exogenous variable is one outside the model (e.g. gender). This has nothing to do with Likert or if you are able to control the item responses. In your example you have an example question q12. I assume this is an item in your model (endogenous, dependent variable) which is influenced by the latent trait.
The reason for declaring variables ordered is to make sure they are not treated as continuous variables and that the polychoric correlation matrix is used for the calculations.
Again, please read https://lavaan.ugent.be/tutorial/cat.html under 'categorical data'
cheers, G

car...@web.de

Jun 29, 2020, 5:27:32 AM6/29/20
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Well, from a perhaps classical point of view, an exogenous variable is a variable that is not explained by any model variable.