A very basic question about scaling

Monica R

Aug 9, 2018, 9:52:21 AM8/9/18
to lavaan
Hello,

I have a basic question regarding scaling.  I read text books and searched online, but could not understand the basic concept of scaling.

Let's say that I have a 2-factor model.

A =~ v1 + v2 + v3
B =~ x1 + x2 + x3

If I constrain a factor variance of A to 1.0, do I have to constrain a factor variance of B to 1.0 as well?

For example, would it be acceptable to constrain a factor variance of A, but constraining one indicator of B?

A =~ NA*v1 + v2 + v3
B =~ x1 + x2 + x3
A ~~ 1*A

I would be very grateful for your help!

Edward Rigdon

Aug 9, 2018, 10:06:54 AM8/9/18
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that would work, if you are using the cfa or sem functions which automatically fix the first loading to 1. You do not need to use the same technique to achieve identification for all factors.

Monica R

Aug 9, 2018, 2:19:20 PM8/9/18
to lavaan
Dear Dr. Rigdon,

Thank you very much for your reply.  It is very helpful and solved my problem!