Bi-Factor Model and Hierarchical second order model

punyabeet sarangi

Feb 7, 2019, 10:09:46 AM2/7/19
to lavaan
Hi all.

I am new to Lavaan and SEM. Being a transport planning student I am tasked to evaluate the service quality perception regarding the introduction of a new metro system. These are the codes I have used to develop the bifactor and second order models. Both are running. But the questions that I have is:

1> Are the codes up to the mark to such that the output can be put up in a Journal paper.

2> Is it okay to compare a bifactor model with a second-order model. as most of the times either by adding or removing the significant IV,s bifactor model is coming better.

3> How to interpret the path coefficients in case of Bifactor  model as dual loadings are coming

Any guidance, suggestions or references to suitable journal papers will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Punyabeet Sarangi
PhD Scholar

## Bifactor Model

sq_model1 = '
SK =~ Sq34_9 + Sq34_10 + Sq34_8 + Sq34_1 + Sq34_3
SP =~ Sq34_6 + Sq34_4 + Sq34_5
IP =~ a*Sq34_13 + a*Sq34_12

SQ =~ Sq34_9 + Sq34_10 + Sq34_8 + Sq34_1 + Sq34_3 +
Sq34_5 + Sq34_4 + Sq34_6 +
Sq34_13 + Sq34_12
Sq34_1 ~~  Sq34_6
'

cfa(sq_model1, data = kdata, orthogonal = T, std.lv = T) -> model.sq1
summary(model.sq1, standardized = T, rsquare = T, fit.measures = T)

## Second order model
sq_model2 = '
SK =~ Sq34_9 + Sq34_10 + Sq34_8 + Sq34_1 + Sq34_3
SP =~ Sq34_5 + Sq34_4 + Sq34_6
IP =~ Sq34_13 + Sq34_12

SQ =~ NA*IP + SP + SK
SQ ~~ 1*SQ
Sq34_9 ~~ Sq34_10
Sq34_9 ~~  Sq34_3
Sq34_1 ~~  Sq34_6
Sq34_3 ~~  Sq34_4
'

cfa(sq_model2, data = kdata) -> model.sq2
summary(model.sq2, standardized = T, rsquare = T, fit.measures = T)

Andrew Kiselica

Feb 7, 2019, 11:18:47 AM2/7/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Search for papers by Canivez or Biderman

Andrew M. Kiselica, MA
University of South Florida
Doctoral Candidate in Clinical Psychology

punyabeet sarangi

Feb 8, 2019, 12:34:57 AM2/8/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
How about the interpretation of coefficients in case of Bi-Factor Model
Thanks & Regards

Punyabeet Sarangi
Research Scholar
Civil Dept(Transportation Engg)
IIT Delhi

Terrence Jorgensen

Feb 8, 2019, 6:50:13 AM2/8/19
to lavaan
How about the interpretation of coefficients in case of Bi-Factor Model

Like any multiple regression, the loadings are partial regression coefficients.  Loadings on the general factor are the effect of the common factor on indicators, controlling for the method factor(s).  Loadings on the method factor(s) are the effect of that factor on the indicator, controlling for the general factor.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Assistant Professor, Methods and Statistics