cfa with binary categorical variables and missing data

Elena Murray

Apr 2, 2019, 10:22:41 AM4/2/19
to lavaan
Dear all,

i am new to lavaan, so please excuse my beginners questions: I am trying to run a CFA on binary categorical (Yes/no) data. I also have some missing data, and want to avoid listwise deletion.

As en estimator i used WLSMV (DWLS), which wont let me use  "missing = fiml".

My command looks like this for the moment:
fit <- cfa(model1, data = SOMSE, estimator = "WLSMV", missing="pairwise")
summary(fit, fit.measures = TRUE,  standardized = TRUE)

If i use use missing = "pairwise" i receive the error msg:
Error in nlminb(start = start.x, objective = objective_function, gradient = GRADIENT,  :
  NA/NaN gradient evaluation

Any idea what i can do now? Is there any way i dont have to run multiple Imputation?

Thank you very much already!

PD

Apr 3, 2019, 6:06:32 AM4/3/19
to lavaan
fiml only works with the ml estimator
Did you order your 'items' for the WLSMV estimator?
The error means that something went wrong in the objective or gradient function, try listwise instead. Pairwise deletion can lead to nonpositive definite matrices

Terrence Jorgensen

Apr 4, 2019, 9:40:19 AM4/4/19
to lavaan
Is there any way i dont have to run multiple Imputation?

missing="pairwise" assumes MCAR, which is quite a strict assumption.  Multiple imputation (facilitated by the runMI() functionality in semTools) only assumes MAR data.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Assistant Professor, Methods and Statistics