Multilevel moderated mediation using lavaan

bc.beatr...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2019, 3:50:27 PM4/18/19
to lavaan
Hi everyone,

I am trying to perform a moderated mediation analysis on a multilevel dataset, including two random intercepts. Does any of you have experience with that, or can give me some reference/code for it? I got quite lost when trying to understand how to specify the model, and in particular the random effects.

Thanks a lot!
Beatrice

Terrence Jorgensen

Apr 24, 2019, 12:30:52 PM4/24/19
to lavaan
I am trying to perform a moderated mediation analysis on a multilevel dataset, including two random intercepts. Does any of you have experience with that, or can give me some reference/code for it? I got quite lost when trying to understand how to specify the model, and in particular the random effects.

lavaan only handles random intercepts, not random slopes, so it cannot model moderation by way of random slopes as described by Preacher et al. in http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/met0000052

You can still model moderated mediation by including product terms as variables.  Regarding syntax, there are MSEM examples and mediation examples in the tutorial:

Also see these slides for more details on both topics:

You only need to combine the two procedures by modeling mediation at one (or both) level(s) of the multilevel syntax.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Assistant Professor, Methods and Statistics