Random slopes?

Jana Ja.

Jul 10, 2019, 11:11:33 AM7/10/19
to lavaan
Hi lavaan enthusiasts,

I'm new to lavaan, and I need to translate a linear mixed-effects model into SEM. I am in need of a little clarification, please :D
  • The changelog for version 6.0.1 mentions limitations: two-level SEM: no random slopes, no missing data, no categorical data.
  • The later changelogs don't mention this issue again. But the latest demo multilevel tutorial (link) seems to include random slopes. [maybe I am reading the code wrong]
Can somebody clarify the random-slopes + categorical data status in v 6.0.4?

I am interested in an SEM with two levels, random slope + random intercept, and categorical variables. But the categorical variables are coded as numerical reference grid.

Thanks a lot,
and kind regards
Jana

Terrence Jorgensen

Jul 13, 2019, 12:16:01 PM7/13/19
to lavaan
  • But the latest demo multilevel tutorial (link) seems to include random slopes. [maybe I am reading the code wrong]
If Yves is experimenting with random slopes already, it is not yet ready for public consumption.

Can somebody clarify the random-slopes + categorical data status in v 6.0.4?

Still not available

But the categorical variables are coded as numerical reference grid.

Numeric codes for categories are still categories.  If the *class* is numeric, then the variable(s) will be treated as continuous unless you declare them as ordered using that argument.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Assistant Professor, Methods and Statistics