Comparing residual covariances across conditions

christophe...@nicholls.edu

Jun 30, 2018, 10:09:53 AM6/30/18
to lavaan
Hello,

I've recently tested for measurement invariance and observed a failure to uphold strict invariance (i.e., residual covariances are non-invariant). I'd like to explore this more so with my data, but could use some guidance.

Here is a little context:
1. My measurements are all 5-point Likert agreement.
2. My condition variables vary in terms of how the measures were administered (e.g., items were randomized vs. non-randomized).
3. Ideally, I can quantify the effect of, say, randomizing items on residual covariances. Would it make sense to say that, for instance, randomizing items reduces/increases the residual covariation between measures of a scale?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

Terrence Jorgensen

Jun 30, 2018, 3:45:23 PM6/30/18
to lavaan
This is not a lavaan issue, so try posting your question on the larger forum SEMNET.  When you do, I would suggest being more specific about what you mean by "randomize items" (e.g., the order in which they were presented?).  FYI, if your hypotheses are about the effect of order-or-presentation, this article might be useful:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10705511.2013.769390

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Postdoctoral Researcher, Methods and Statistics

Christopher Castille

Jul 3, 2018, 6:49:04 PM7/3/18
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for responding even though this isn’t a lavaan-specific issue.

Your interpretation was correct. By “randomize items” I mean randomize the order of presentation to reduce the impact of item order effects.

Also, thanks for the article! I’m reading it right now.

Chris