Correlate Errors in Lavaan

James Neale

Aug 19, 2018, 1:09:04 PM8/19/18
to lavaan
Hi there, relatively new to Lavaan here and wondering what the syntax is to correlate the errors of 2 variables together, rather than just correlating the variables themselves:

What I am looking for is the very rightmost covariance (where d3 and d4 are error terms).

Many thanks!

Edward Rigdon

Aug 19, 2018, 1:20:11 PM8/19/18
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Just use the same ~~ operator. If the variables are dependent, then this refers to residual correlation.

James Neale

Aug 19, 2018, 1:25:22 PM8/19/18
to lavaan
Thanks! I was under the impression that it was two separate operations though? As in you could also calculate a direct link or is that wrong?

Edward Rigdon

Aug 19, 2018, 1:29:25 PM8/19/18
to lav...@googlegroups.com
The variables themselves are correlated through the path model. Residual covariance is all that is left. If avariable were NOT dependent, then "residual covariance" and "covariance" would be the same thing.