bootstrap and significance

CSM

Jul 28, 2018, 10:46:47 AM7/28/18
to lavaan

Dear all,

I have a basic question regarding bootstrapping and significance: in the analysis of a mediator model, the indirect effect provided a 95% bootstrap CI = [-.006 , .855], and a bootstrap based p-value =.032. Just as additional information, using se="robust" instead of se="boot" provides p-value = .041, 95% robust CI = [.022, 1.016].

The significance level of my general analysis is set at 5%. As far as I understand, p-values are not important to assess the significance in this bootstrapping case, correct?

So, please, confirm me if it is better to report this effect as non-significant or as marginally significant (since 0 is approaching one of the 95% CI limit). How do you recommend me to report it?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Terrence Jorgensen

Jul 29, 2018, 7:57:16 PM7/29/18
to lavaan

As far as I understand, p-values are not important to assess the significance in this bootstrapping case, correct?

The p value is calculated using the bootstrap SE, and assumes that the sampling distribution is normal.  To the degree to which that assumption is false, the 95% CI will disagree with the p value.  The 95% CI makes no assumption about the shape of the sampling distribution, so it should be more robust.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Postdoctoral Researcher, Methods and Statistics

CSM

Jul 30, 2018, 7:12:26 AM7/30/18
to lavaan

Dear Professor Terrence Jorgensen,

Thank you very much for this clarification. I understand that I must report only 95% CI. Just as a curiosity, do you know why the 95% bootstrap CI is even more robust (or at least, more conservative) than the 95% robust CI ("SE=robust")?

Terrence Jorgensen

Jul 31, 2018, 6:48:48 AM7/31/18
to lavaan

do you know why the 95% bootstrap CI is even more robust (or at least, more conservative) than the 95% robust CI ("SE=robust")?

I'm not sure it generally is.  But I think a reason for preferring the CI over a p value is that the CI does not assume a normal sampling distribution, so it should capture the true parameter 95% of the time even when the distribution is asymmetric or kurtotic.