Formatting a long subsection title

B Bro

Aug 22, 2020, 5:04:42 PM8/22/20
to LaTeX Users Group
Hey can anyone help me? I have a subsection with a really long title.

\subsection{\underline{Experiment II}: Comparing the Performances of the Classifiers on the Adversarial UFP Test Set}

I would like it to print like this.

A. Experiment 1:REALLY looooooooooong title xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     xxxxxxxxxx

but it prints like this:

A. Experiment 1:REALLY looooooooooong title xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx

Peter

Aug 22, 2020, 5:10:20 PM8/22/20
to LaTeX Users Group
You need to make a Minimal Example that demonstartes the problem. What you typed works as intended and wraps the title under the E of Experiment:

        \documentclass{article}
    \begin{document}
    \section{Stuff}
    \subsection{\underline{Experiment II}: Comparing the Performances of
      the Classifiers on the Adversarial UFP Test Set}
    \end{document}

There must be something else about your document that you haven't told us. For example, why are you expecting a \subsection to use a lettered sequence. Subsections normally print a decimal section.subsection number.

If you are using a different document class, edit your document to strip away everything non-relevant so that you have the absolute bare minimum that shows the problem. Then send us that so that we can test it.

Peter

B Bro

Aug 22, 2020, 5:32:09 PM8/22/20
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
\documentclass[conference]{IEEEtran}
\IEEEoverridecommandlockouts
\usepackage{cite}
\usepackage{amsmath,amssymb,amsfonts}
\usepackage{algorithmic}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{xcolor}
\def\BibTeX{{\rm B\kern-.05em{\sc i\kern-.025em b}\kern-.08em
    T\kern-.1667em\lower.7ex\hbox{E}\kern-.125emX}}
\begin{document}

\section{Stuff}
\subsection{\underline{Experiment II}: Comparing the Performances of the Classifiers on the Test Set}
\end {document}

I'm sorry, here is all there information

Peter Flynn

Aug 22, 2020, 6:33:12 PM8/22/20
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
On 22/08/2020 22:31, B Bro wrote:

You didn't understand the meaning of MIMINAL. A minimal example looks
like this (get rid of all the irrelevant stuff).

> \documentclass[conference]{IEEEtran} > \begin{document}
> \section{Stuff}
> \subsection{\underline{Experiment II}: Comparing the Performances of the
> Classifiers on the Test Set}
> \end {document}

OK, now we can see the problem.

> I would like it to print like this.

You can't. It's not your format, it's theirs. The IEEE specify in
ieeetrans.cls at lines 5469-70 that subsection titles will NOT indent
when they wrap to multiple lines. That's how the IEEE want them: you do
not get to choose this, you must accept their format. If you are
submitting a conference paper, you have to follow their style.

But if you only want to use ieeetrans.cls for personal work (ie NOT for
an IEEE conference), then you must copy ieeetrans.cls to another name
(perhaps ieeebro.cls) and modify the definition of \subsection at lines
5469-70. Then it becomes your style and you can do what you want.

Peter

B Bro

Aug 22, 2020, 8:07:24 PM8/22/20
to LaTeX Users Group
Thank you so much!

Peter Flynn

Aug 23, 2020, 6:07:07 AM8/23/20
On 23/08/2020 01:07, B Bro wrote:
> Thank you so much!

I'm sorry to pour cold water on your plans. I agree, their design is not
elegant, and indenting long headings would be better, but their web site
says

> The purpose of a conference template is to provide a consistent format
> for papers

so they won't allow one author to be different.

Peter