The combination of pdflatex and bibtex could not correctly process \^{o} within \url{….} in a .tex or .bib file.

2022Newbie

Feb 15, 2022, 4:59:00 PM2/15/22
to LaTeX Users Group

In a .tex, LaTeχ-code file or a .bib, bibliographic file a \url{…} containing \^{o} could not be correctly processed within those braces to make the French circonflexe accent over a lower-case letter “o” to make it look like ô. I used the commands pdflatex and bibtex to generate a .pdf (Portable Document Format) output file and examined the output in that file. I used the versions of pdflatex, indicated by pdfTeX 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.18, and bibtex, indicated by BibTeX 0.99d, each from TeX Live 2017/TeX Live for SUSE Linux. I did not notice an obvious error message alerting me of this problem. But in the .pdf output file produced by a combination of pdflatex and bibtex commands was a lengthy collection of words and/or characters, rather than a ô, a lower-case letter “o” with a French-language, circonflexe accent mark on top of it. This problem occurred when \url{…\^{o}…} was in either a .bib file containing bibliographic references or in the .tex file. So it is reasonable that the problem was in the processing itself of \url{…\^{o}…}.

On the other hand” with \^{o} between the braces of \htmladdnornallink{…}{…} in a .bib file entry the output of ô within the .pdf output file was gratefully good. So \htmladdnormallink{…\^{o}...}{…\^{o}...} was my so-called “workaround” solution for the problem in the processing of \url{…\^{o}…} by the combination of pdflatex and bibtex.