How to install the GEOMETRY Package?

Jean-Jacques vilcapoma vanden eynde

Mar 24, 2010, 11:00:47 AM3/24/10
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
Dear experts,

I want to instal the package Geometry v5.3. I use  mikTex (in WinEdt) and I downloaded the two files

1.  geometry.ins
2. geometry.dtx

and they are in a directory  on my desktop.

How should proceed to get installated geometry?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards

Jean-Jacques

Peter Flynn

Mar 24, 2010, 12:14:27 PM3/24/10
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Jean-Jacques vilcapoma vanden eynde <jjvilcapoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear experts,

I want to instal the package Geometry v5.3. I use  mikTex (in WinEdt) and I downloaded the two files

1.  geometry.ins
2. geometry.dtx

and they are in a directory  on my desktop.

How should proceed to get installated geometry?

latex geometry.ins

Then move the new geometry.sty to wherever the old one is (rename the old one to geometry-old.sty)

latex geometry.dtx (twice) to get the documentation.

///Peter

James McElhannon

Mar 24, 2010, 12:21:02 PM3/24/10
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
With MikTex, by far the easiest way to is let MikTex install the packages on the fly.  Use the MikTex Options GUI, General tab, and set "install missing packages on the fly" to yes.  When you [pdf]latex a file that includes a package that is not installed, it will be downloaded into the proper place and is ready for use.  (Depending upon the package, the download might take a while, so be patient.  There's no on-screen indication that the [pdf]latex run has stopped and the download in progress.)

Alternatively, you can use the MikTex package manager and choose Geometry from the list.  It will be downloaded and installed automatically.

James

Jean-Jacques vilcapoma vanden eynde

Mar 24, 2010, 5:25:47 PM3/24/10
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
James, thanks a lot for the additional comment.

However, I added  the package GEOMETRY to the list of packages included in my tex file, something like this:

\usepackage{amsmath}    % need for subequations
\usepackage{graphicx}   % need for figures
\usepackage{verbatim}   % useful for program listings
\usepackage{color}      % use if color is used in text
\usepackage{subfigure}  % use for side-by-side figures
\usepackage{hyperref}   % use for hypertext links, including those to external documents and URLs

\usepackage{geometry}

IN THE middle of the pages I wrote the following command:

\begin{landscape}

...text...I want that this is in landscape

\end{landscape}

BUT, I get an ERROR message that says:

Environment lanscape undefined.

Where may be my mistake?

Thanks for the help,

Jean-Jacques

Gildas Cotomale

Mar 24, 2010, 6:58:28 PM3/24/10
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
> However, I added  the package GEOMETRY to the list of packages included in
> my tex file, something like this:

> \usepackage{geometry}
>

> IN THE middle of the pages I wrote the following command:
>

> \begin{landscape}
>
> ...text...I want that this is in landscape
>
> \end{landscape}

package lscape (and/or pdflscape if you're using pdfLaTeX) for this,
available online via CTAN from
http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=lscape
http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=pdflscape

> BUT, I get an ERROR message that says:
>
> Environment lanscape undefined.
>

> Where may be my mistake?

for the geometry package, please read the documentation available
online via CTAN from:
http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=geometry
the command you are looking for is : \newgeometry{...}.

regards

\bye

Peter Flynn

Mar 24, 2010, 7:03:47 PM3/24/10
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Jean-Jacques vilcapoma vanden eynde <jjvilcapoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
James, thanks a lot for the additional comment.

However, I added  the package GEOMETRY to the list of packages included in my tex file, something like this:

\usepackage{amsmath}    % need for subequations
\usepackage{graphicx}   % need for figures
\usepackage{verbatim}   % useful for program listings
\usepackage{color}      % use if color is used in text
\usepackage{subfigure}  % use for side-by-side figures
\usepackage{hyperref}   % use for hypertext links, including those to external documents and URLs

\usepackage{geometry}

IN THE middle of the pages I wrote the following command:

\begin{landscape}

...text...I want that this is in landscape

\end{landscape}

BUT, I get an ERROR message that says:

Environment landscape undefined.

Where may be my mistake?

The geometry package does not define an environment called landscape.

I think we have all been misled. The new geometry documentation says (read carefully):

The version 5 provides the new commands \newgeometry{...} and \restoregeometry, which allow you to change page dimensions in the middle of the document. Unlike \geometry in the preamble, \newgeometry is available only after \begin{document}, resets all the options ever specified except for the papersize-related options: landscape, portrait, and paper size options (such as papersize, paper=a4paper and so forth), which can’t be changed with \newgeometry.

So the answer seems to be that the new version of geometry does not allow you to switch to landscape in mid-document.

According to the FAQ (http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=landscape) there is an lscape package which does this, but I have never used it.

///Peter

Jean-Jacques vilcapoma vanden eynde

Mar 25, 2010, 12:40:11 AM3/25/10
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for all suggestions.

For the moment I solved my problem using

\usepackage{lscape}

and

\begin{landscape}
My very long equation   x=y
My long equation a =b

\end{lanscape}

I really appreciate the help of everybody. It also allowed me to learn a bit more of Latex.
Thanks again,

Jean-Jacques