Bug with bibliography

Karla Lopez Araujo

May 5, 2024, 9:27:43 PMMay 5
to LaTeX Users Group
Hi everybody,

I have a problem with the references.
The bug is : LaTeX Warning: Citation `Cranmer' on page 1 undefined on input line 30.
Please, find my text in Latex below.
Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

\documentclass[11pt, oneside]{book} % use "amsart" instead of "article" for AMSLaTeX format
\usepackage{geometry}                 % See geometry.pdf to learn the layout options. There are lots.
\geometry{letterpaper}                   % ... or a4paper or a5paper or ...
%\geometry{landscape}                 % Activate for rotated page geometry
%\usepackage[parfill]{parskip}     % Activate to begin paragraphs with an empty line rather than an indent
\usepackage{graphicx} % Use pdf, png, jpg, or eps§ with pdflatex; use eps in DVI mode
% TeX will automatically convert eps --> pdf in pdflatex
\usepackage{amssymb}

\usepackage[hyperpageref]{backref}
\usepackage[alf]{abntex2cite}

%\pdfstringdefDisableCommands{\let\uppercase\relax}

%SetFonts

%SetFonts

%\include{cite}
%\printrefereces{cite}
\title{Brief Article}
\author{The Author}
%\date{} % Activate to display a given date or no date

\begin{document}
\maketitle
%\section{}
%\subsection{}
 some of which expand into interplanetary space as supersonic outflow known as solar wind \cite{Cranmer}—corona is extended from the transition region to the

\begin{figure}[ht!]
        \centering
        \includegraphics[scale=0.4]{1_sun.eps}
        \caption{Inner and outer layers of the Sun and physical properties }
        \label{fig:sun}
\end{figure}

\bibliography{cite.bib}

\end{document}

Werner Grundlingh

May 6, 2024, 12:20:38 PMMay 6
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
Some questions:
  • What is in cite.bib?
  • Did you compile and then process the file with BibTeX?

Karla Lopez Araujo

May 6, 2024, 4:50:40 PMMay 6
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
Hello Werner,

Thank you for your answer.
  • What is in cite.bib?
The cite.bib now is called sampleRefs.bib. There is the reference that I need to include in my latex (main.tex, it is the same text of my last email).
  • Did you compile and then process the file with BibTeX?

No, I just compile the main.tex.
When I compile, the PDF should recognize the reference because I am calling sampleRefs.bib from main.tex using \bibliography{sampleRefs.bib}.
.
I hope you can help me.
Thank you again.

Karla Lopez A.

sampleRefs.bib
main.tex

Werner Grundlingh

May 6, 2024, 5:13:39 PMMay 6
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
That is not how bibliographies work when using a bibliography manager (like BibTeX). You need to have the following compilation sequence:
  • pdfLaTeX
  • BibTeX
  • pdfLaTeX
  • pdfLaTeX
The first compilation (pdfLaTeX main) produces main.aux. Now you need to compile with BibTeX that would process main.aux, together with your bibliography style and produce a LaTeX output file for inclusion in your document (so \cite{Cranmer} is understandable). The output of this compilation produces main.bbl. Now compile again with pdfLaTeX which should pick up main.bbl. Another compilation may be necessary as now you've included a bibliography that's part of your document, including citations, which may cause references to shift.

The complete compilation sequence is only necessary/needed when you have a change in the references or citations or bibliography, not every time you want to view the output.

Ps. I assume you have \araa defined somewhere, since it's part of your citation.

Emílio Kavamura eek

May 6, 2024, 7:34:11 PMMay 6
to LaTeX Users Group
Karla,

if you are using abntex2cite use the bibtex compiler to process your references, define a bibliography style.

I think you are using biblatex to compile your references.

Screenshot from 2024-05-06 20-33-22.png
\documentclass[11pt, oneside]{book} % use "amsart" instead of "article" for AMSLaTeX format
\usepackage{geometry}                 % See geometry.pdf to learn the layout options. There are lots.
\geometry{letterpaper}                   % ... or a4paper or a5paper or ...
%\geometry{landscape}                 % Activate for rotated page geometry
%\usepackage[parfill]{parskip}     % Activate to begin paragraphs with an empty line rather than an indent
\usepackage{graphicx} % Use pdf, png, jpg, or eps§ with pdflatex; use eps in DVI mode
% TeX will automatically convert eps --> pdf in pdflatex
\usepackage{amssymb}

\usepackage[hyperpageref]{backref}
\usepackage[alf]{abntex2cite}
\bibliographystyle{abntex2-alf}

%\pdfstringdefDisableCommands{\let\uppercase\relax}

%SetFonts

%SetFonts

%\include{cite}
%\printrefereces{cite}
\title{Brief Article}
\author{The Author}
%\date{} % Activate to display a given date or no date

\begin{document}
\maketitle
%\section{}
%\subsection{}
 some of which expand into interplanetary space as supersonic outflow known as solar wind \cite{Cranmer}—corona is extended from the transition region to the

\bibliography{sampleRefs.bib}

\end{document}

Karla Lopez Araujo

May 6, 2024, 10:23:05 PMMay 6
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Werner and Emilio
WIth your suggestions, I could resolve my problem.

Thank you again.

Karla Lopez A.

Srinivasan Ganapathy

May 7, 2024, 9:03:20 AMMay 7
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
Remove the extension in \bibliography i.e. \bibliography{cite}