how to do Volume symbol (V with line through it)

RCR

Feb 24, 2007, 10:16:14 PM2/24/07
to LaTeX Users Group
> Philip A. Viton wrote:
> > In article <1172260702.963327.206...@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > rcrthe...@gmail.com says...
> >> Can anyone tell me how to produce the volume symbol that looks a bit
> >> like an upside down A, or a V with a horizontal line through it?

the \forall doesn't have the extended "serifs" on the horizontal
line.... I know it is kind of a standard symbol but don't know what
it
is called or how to search for it. I've tried to scan through the
comprehensive tex symbols list.pdf...

Is there a way to overtype a dash over a letter by using negative
horizontal space or something?

thanks

PJ

Mar 5, 2007, 11:51:44 AM3/5/07
to LaTeX Users Group
Hi,

Try $-\! V$, where "-" will make the horizontal line, "\!" is a
negative horizontal space (use it as many times as needed).

To use it within text, you can try to define something like
\newcommand\volume{\raise1pt\rlap{--}\hglue-2pt V}
where "\raise 1pt" moves up the following 'box' defined by
"\rlap" (right lap) that writes its argument without moving the 'pen'.
Then, "\hglue-2pt" is a negative horizontal space. Play with the
dimensions to achieve the effect you like.

PJ.