New LaTeX Resume/CV Template

Ted Pavlic

Jan 27, 2007, 8:11:49 AM1/27/07
to LaTeX Users Group
I wasn't satisfied with the existing resume/CV templates available on
the web, most of which depend on the res documentclass, so I put
together this simple template that I *think* is much more user
friendly and less awkward than the existing available solution. It
uses the article documentclass. It's put together with a couple of
simple macros:

http://www.tedpavlic.com/post_resume_cv_latex_example.php

To summarize that page:

*) An example PDF: http://www.tedpavlic.com/tpavlic_cv.pdf

*) The source: http://links.tedpavlic.com/tex/tpavlic_cv.tex

*) The source (linked for easy browser viewing): http://
links.tedpavlic.com/ascii/tpavlic_cv_tex.ascii

Notice the \makeheading{}, \section, and \blankline macros as well as
the outerlist and innerlist environments. Simply strip my information
out of the LaTeX source and add your own.

I hope that's useful to someone out there.

aviatorone

Feb 5, 2007, 6:06:21 AM2/5/07
to LaTeX Users Group
Thanks for that beautiful and well formatted document with hypertext.

I am using TextShop on the Mac to typeset the resume, but I can't get
the page numbers to come out right. For instance, instead of page 1 of
4, it shows page 1 of ?? instead.

I noticed that you use \usepackage{fancyhdr,lastpage}. So I tried
installing these two packages, running LaTex on lastpage.ins to
get .drv and .sty files and placed these on the same folder as
tpavlic_cv.tex, but nothing worked.

I'm not an expert on LateX or TeX. Could you please give me some easy
to follow instructions - step by step, showing to set this up?

I'd very much appreciate your help.

Claud

aviatorone

Feb 5, 2007, 6:36:08 AM2/5/07
to LaTeX Users Group
blimey why didn't I try typesetting the document twice?! It didn't
need the macros or anything else. It now works perfectly. Thanks very
much.

Ted Pavlic

Feb 5, 2007, 1:26:33 PM2/5/07
to LaTeX Users Group
For others reading this thread, they should note that I have just
updated the CV example posted on-line to address these concerns and
others.

The new version has a comment addressing this "of ??" problem as well
as instructions on how to very easily change from letter paper to A4
paper and to change things like margins.

--Ted

Bryan Lepore

Jul 3, 2019, 11:55:49 AM7/3/19
to LaTeX Users Group
I found this post helpful.

however, I could not get the source .tex to compile without more work. So I thought I'd share *some* of the things I did to get this working from "scratch", if you will. on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS Bionic - without any known tex/latex software installed.

1. installed

sudo apt install texlive-latex-base
sudo apt-get install texlive-full
sudo apt-get install texlive-fonts-recommended

2. Google searched for the following files :

ulem.sty
tweaklist.sty
extdash.sty
enumitem.sty
lastpage.sty
doi.sty

mostly got them from CTAN. generally followed the REAMEs, which required some latex or tex compilation of sources. To get going fast, I just copied the .sty files into my working directory. I'll do something nicer later.

... I can't remember if I did anything else, but that should get things up and running... if it was me about 30 minutes ago...

Peter Flynn

Jul 6, 2019, 6:00:10 AM7/6/19
to latexusersgroup
I'm not sure which post you are referring to (maybe I missed something).

1. Just installing texlive-full is normally enough to get started.

2. Google? Why is Google involved? Why are you installing these packages when they are already included in texlive-full?

a) you can always check if a package is installed and visible to TeX by using kpsewhich (Karl Berry's pathsearch version of which), eg kpsewhich ulem.sty

b) if you really do need to install an extra package manually, always put it in your Personal TeX Directory, so that it will always be found no matter what directory your documents are in. Details of how to do this are in Formatting Information, App A.2

What I would be concerned about is if you installed the Ubuntu packages as described, and still found the LaTeX packages you listed were still missing. That would indicate that there may be something very seriously wrong with your installation. To test this,
  1. move all the files relating to the LaTeX packages out of your working directory and put them somewhere else unrelated
  2. use kpsewhich on each of the package file names (ulem.sty to doi.sty) to see where they are installed
If any of them are not found, you may have file problems which would need to be fixed first.

Peter (away for a week now)