Major new release of UHM thesis class

Robert Brewer

Mar 9, 2015, 9:59:36 AM3/9/15
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
The University of Hawaii thesis/dissertation LaTeX class has been fairly dormant since I graduated. I had made a beta 2.0.0 release of Mark's rewrite to so people could try it out, but nothing since then. I hadn't even had a chance to include my fixes made in 2013 for my dissertation.

Based on some discussion on Facebook, I have made the following updates:
  • Moved the project from Google Code to GitHub (https://github.com/rbrewer/latex-uhm-thesis) All further work will happen there.
  • Released version 2.1.0, which corresponds to the changes I made to the style in 2013 for my dissertation, based on the Sep 2010 style guide updates (like the removal of the signature page).
  • Released version 2.2.0beta, which includes the changes from the Sep 2014 style guide
The only change I could see in the new style guide that affected the LaTeX class is the new 1 inch margins all the way around. The requirement that page numbers be at the bottom center was already the way the style did things.

All the current grad students working on their thesis/dissertation are encouraged to try out the 2.2.0 version and submit pull requests if they find any problems.

Andrea Napolitano

Jul 10, 2015, 5:02:37 AM7/10/15
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com, rbr...@lava.net
Thank you very much for your help. I'm preparing my dissertation using your LaTeX class, but I noticed you don't have anything implemented to create a List of Abbreviations and/or Symbols. It would be really helpful having something like that. Thanks!
Andrea

Robert Brewer

Jul 12, 2015, 9:25:27 AM7/12/15
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad it is working well for you Andrea.

A List of Abbreviations (or Symbols) would be easy to implement I think, but I don't have the time to work on it right now. If you feel adventurous, you could fork the class on GitHub and try adding it :)

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Andrea Napolitano <anapoli...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you very much for your help. I'm preparing my dissertation using your LaTeX class, but I noticed you don't have anything implemented to create a List of Abbreviations and/or Symbols. It would be really helpful having something like that. Thanks!
Andrea

Robert Brewer
Postdoc in the Ubiquitous Computing and Interaction Group
Computer Science Department, Aarhus University, Denmark
http://robertsbrewer.wordpress.com/

Andrea Napolitano

Jul 14, 2015, 2:25:52 PM7/14/15
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,
I am not an expert at all with LaTeX, but I sure am adventurous :)
I quite successfully solved my problem, even though with a simple trick and without exploiting the full potential of LaTeX in creating Glossaries.

In the .cls I added

\newcommand{\nomname}{List of Abbreviations and Symbols}

at the beginning and

}

\newenvironment{nomenclature}{

\chapter*{\nomname}

\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\nomname}

}{

}

at the end,

then I created a nomenclature.tex

\begin{nomenclature}

\begin{description}

\item{\makebox[0.75in][l]{$C_1$}} Constant 1

\item{\makebox[0.75in][l]{$V$}} Voltage

\item{\makebox[0.75in][l]{\$}} US Dollars

\end{description}

\end{nomenclature}

Again, I know there are better solutions, but given my limited knowledge of LaTeX and the

limited time I have, I'm actually quite happy with this and will use it for the dissertation.

I leave to you the decision on whether implementing these few lines on the original code,

since I do recognize this is a dirty trick and not how a proper glossary should be done :)

Bye

Andrea