Kicking things off

Robert Brewer

Oct 6, 2008, 6:12:19 PM10/6/08
to latex-uhm-thesis-discuss
Hello to everyone interested in the UH LaTeX class for theses and
dissertations. The source is now available via Google Code (linked
from the About this group tab). Mark Stillwell has been added as a
developer since he's planning to update some aspects of the class
file. I also added Philip and Henri as a project owners to help ensure
that the project can be maintained after all the current students
graduate.

Mark has said he is planning to look through the latest thesis style
guide from grad division to see what changes we need to make to the
style to be compliant. I am completely supportive of this effort. :)

Marc (Le Pape, note the "c") is planning to graduate this semester I
believe, so he will be the first to run the gauntlet. I believe Cedric
& Hongbing used the class for their dissertations in the last couple
years, so I should check with them to see if they had to make any
modifications.

Has anyone come across any problems so far?

Philip Johnson

Oct 6, 2008, 7:29:51 PM10/6/08
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
Great job, Robert!

I believe the bertha:~csdl/tex directory contains the latex style files used by Hongbing and Cedric; you could diff to see if any changes were made.   That might be much faster than contacting them and asking them to remember!

Philip

Robert Brewer

Oct 6, 2008, 7:37:03 PM10/6/08
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
--On October 6, 2008 1:29:51 PM -1000 Philip Johnson
<philipm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Good point.

bertha(4):~csdl/tex > ls -lt uht*
-r--r----- 1 rbrewer csdl 53500 Mar 14 2000 uhthesis2e.cls
-rw-r----- 1 rbrewer csdl 53101 Mar 14 2000 uhthesis2e.cls~
-rw-r--r-- 1 cmoore csdl 3807 Jan 25 2000 uhtitle.sty
-rw-r--r-- 1 cmoore csdl 13985 Jan 25 2000 uhthesis.cls
-rw-rw-r-- 1 cmoore csdl 16329 Oct 20 1998 uhthesis2e.log
-rw-r----- 1 rbrewer csdl 15933 Oct 5 1998 uhtest.zip
-rw-r----- 1 rbrewer csdl 50619 Oct 5 1998 uhthesis-latex.zip
-r--r----- 1 rbrewer csdl 18880 Sep 30 1998 uht11.clo
-r--r----- 1 rbrewer csdl 18975 Sep 30 1998 uht12.clo
-r--r----- 1 rbrewer csdl 18793 Sep 30 1998 uht10.clo
-rw-r--r-- 1 cmoore csdl 9309 Feb 4 1998 uhthesis.sty

Looks like I was the last editor of the uhthesis2e style on bertha. I'll
diff it with the stuff in svn and see what changes (if any) were made.

Robert Brewer

Oct 6, 2008, 8:56:35 PM10/6/08
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
--On October 6, 2008 1:37:03 PM -1000 Robert Brewer <rbr...@lava.net>
wrote:

> Looks like I was the last editor of the uhthesis2e style on bertha. I'll
> diff it with the stuff in svn and see what changes (if any) were made.

Well, the version on bertha had a bunch of bugfixes. Ooops. I have
incorporated them into svn. Here's the commit message:

Significant changes imported from the most recent version used to
actually format some dissertations. Apparently the base version
used previously was from 1998, whereas this now includes the
changes from March 2000 (just before I submitted his thesis :).
This should address some of the obvious problems (like not having
periods all the way across each line of the table of contents). One
change that will affect source files is a spelling change:
acknowledgement -> acknowledgment. The name of the environment
changed, so theses using the previous spelling will have to be
edited. This also required obvious changes to the uhtest example
files.

Kudos to Philip for pointing out I should check bertha's tex
directory to find the style that CSDL folk had actually been using
for theses. Turns out there were substantial changes from the zip
file made available publicly. Yet more proof that this should be
maintained publicly. :)

Mark, can you grab the latest version from svn and just do a sanity check
that it works for you? I'd like to make a 1.1.0 release quickly since Marc
is probably using an outdated version right now for his dissertation...

Mark Stillwell

Oct 6, 2008, 9:04:30 PM10/6/08
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
> Mark, can you grab the latest version from svn and just do a sanity check
> that it works for you? I'd like to make a 1.1.0 release quickly since Marc
> is probably using an outdated version right now for his dissertation...

Well, I can make a dvi from the uhtest sample thesis. I haven't
actually started my dissertation yet.

--
Mark Lee Stillwell
mar...@fortawesome.org

Robert Brewer

Oct 6, 2008, 9:06:59 PM10/6/08
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
--On October 6, 2008 3:04:30 PM -1000 Mark Stillwell
<mar...@fortawesome.org> wrote:

>> Mark, can you grab the latest version from svn and just do a sanity check
>> that it works for you? I'd like to make a 1.1.0 release quickly since
>> Marc is probably using an outdated version right now for his
>> dissertation...
>
> Well, I can make a dvi from the uhtest sample thesis. I haven't
> actually started my dissertation yet.

OK, good enough. I'll make a 1.1.0 release soon and ask Marc to try it out.
It would be good to have Josh try it out too, since he was complaining
about some of the problems fixed by these changes.

Marc A. Le Pape

Oct 6, 2008, 9:56:45 PM10/6/08
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com, Philip Johnson
Aloha Robert:

Thanks you so much for all your work and efforts in creating and
keeping this LaTeX UH-Thesis project up to date. You really are
providing a great service to everyone around here, and I want you to
know how much we all appreciate it.

Thanks again and Aloha,

Marc

Robert Brewer

Oct 7, 2008, 5:10:53 AM10/7/08
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
--On October 6, 2008 3:56:45 PM -1000 "Marc A. Le Pape" <lep...@hawaii.edu>
wrote:

> Aloha Robert:
>
> Thanks you so much for all your work and efforts in creating and
> keeping this LaTeX UH-Thesis project up to date. You really are
> providing a great service to everyone around here, and I want you to
> know how much we all appreciate it.
>
> Thanks again and Aloha,

You're welcome Marc. Can you try downloading the 1.1.0 release I made this
afternoon and try it out with your dissertation? I'm not sure which version
you got from Philip originally, so this may or may not show significant
differences in formatting.

Here's the link:

<http://latex-uhm-thesis.googlecode.com/files/latex-uhm-thesis-1.1.0.zip>

Mahalo.

Marc A. Le Pape

Oct 8, 2008, 2:25:19 PM10/8/08
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com, Marc A. Le Pape
Aloha David & Co.

> "Marc Can you try downloading the 1.1.0 release I made this afternoon and try it out with your dissertation? I'm not sure which version you got from Philip originally, so this may or may not show significant differences in formatting."

1 - The only observed difference in my output file is a slight difference in both the name and the formatting of Table of Content.

2 - A welcome improvement would be to be able to extend to the \include command in the uhtest.tex file to enforce a) consistency and b) moduarity.

Specifically, we should be able to state \include {introduction}, \include{related-work}, \include{methodology}, \include{results}, \include{discussion}, \include{conclusion}. This approach would generalize the use of the \incude command already implemented to include the dedication, the acknowledgements, the abstract, the body, and the appendix.

This would allow us to focus on a much smaller portion of the thesis/dissertation at any one time, without having to deal with the entire body of the dssertation.

Better yet would be to allow us to use the \include command as an option.
Some would prefer to deal with their entire dissertation/thesis in one file (uh-tesis.tex) and only compile this file. Others, like me, appreciate the modularity offered by the \include command and simply would like to see its use generalized - eevv though the advantiage of mmodularity comes at the price of editing one file and compiling another (uh-tesis.tex).

Anyhow, some flexibility in this respect woud be a great improvement to the current release.

Just my 2 cents,

Marc

Robert Brewer

Oct 13, 2008, 11:40:04 PM10/13/08
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
--On October 8, 2008 8:25:19 AM -1000 "Marc A. Le Pape" <lep...@hawaii.edu>
wrote:

> Aloha David & Co.

Who is David? :)

> > "Marc Can you try downloading the 1.1.0 release I made this
> afternoon and try it out with your dissertation? I'm not sure which
> version you got from Philip originally, so this may or may not show
> significant differences in formatting."
>
> 1 - The only observed difference in my output file is a slight
> difference in both the name and the formatting of Table of Content.

OK. That confirms that Philip or I had given you the old version, and now
you have the latest version. The style changes bring it up to meet the
standards of the 1998 graduate division style guide at least.

> 2 - A welcome improvement would be to be able to extend to the
> \include command in the uhtest.tex file to enforce a) consistency and
> b) moduarity.
>
> Specifically, we should be able to state \include {introduction},
> \include{related-work}, \include{methodology}, \include{results},
> \include{discussion}, \include{conclusion}. This approach would
> generalize the use of the \incude command already implemented to
> include the dedication, the acknowledgements, the abstract, the body,
> and the appendix.
>
> This would allow us to focus on a much smaller portion of the thesis/
> dissertation at any one time, without having to deal with the entire
> body of the dssertation.
>
> Better yet would be to allow us to use the \include command as an
> option.
> Some would prefer to deal with their entire dissertation/thesis in
> one file (uh-tesis.tex) and only compile this file. Others, like me,
> appreciate the modularity offered by the \include command and simply
> would like to see its use generalized - eevv though the advantiage of
> mmodularity comes at the price of editing one file and compiling
> another (uh-tesis.tex).
>
> Anyhow, some flexibility in this respect woud be a great improvement
> to the current release.

I have good news! You can already do exactly what you want to do with no
changes required to the style. In LaTeX, the \include{filename} command
pulls in the content of filename.tex into the current file when processing.
However, there is nothing magical about the file names given in the example
thesis document (like uhtest-acknowledgements.tex). So if you want to have
each of your chapters stored in a separate file, you can do so. Just
replace the single \include{uh-thesis-body} or whatever with
\include{introduction} \include{related-work} etc for as many files as you
have. I just tested this with the uhtest-body.tex file and it worked for me.

Similarly, if someone wanted to have one monolithic file for their thesis,
they could remove all the \include commands and insert the text they want
right there in the main document. I recommend the modularized approach, but
the style shouldn't care either way.

I hope this helps.

Marc A. Le Pape

Oct 14, 2008, 3:01:21 AM10/14/08
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
Aloha Dav... Robert:

1 - > "Who is David? "

Easy:  (Rob*) * old_Age = David

2 - > "I have good news! You can already do exactly what you want to do with no changes required to the style... replace the single \include{uh-thesis-body} or whatever with \include{introduction} \include{related-work}

Sure... I was waiting for this short LaTeX intro to the \include{Elementary_Watson} command.
Problem is, it did not work for me when I tried.

So I chose not to waste my time on this and ask David for help instead - I mean Robert. I actually thought Robert  did something clever in the class file to frustrate the rest of us. However, since he so gallantly insist, I will step in his office tomorrow for proof of concept.

Marc :-)

Robert Brewer

Oct 14, 2008, 10:51:46 PM10/14/08
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
--On October 13, 2008 9:01:21 PM -1000 "Marc A. Le Pape"
<lep...@hawaii.edu> wrote:

> Aloha Dav... Robert:
>
> 1 - > "Who is David? "
>
> Easy: (Rob*) * old_Age = David
>
> 2 - > "I have good news! You can already do exactly what you want to
> do with no changes required to the style... replace the single
> \include{uh-thesis-body} or whatever with \include{introduction}
> \include{related-work}
>
> Sure... I was waiting for this short LaTeX intro to the \include
> {Elementary_Watson} command.
> Problem is, it did not work for me when I tried.
>
> So I chose not to waste my time on this and ask David for help
> instead - I mean Robert. I actually thought Robert did something
> clever in the class file to frustrate the rest of us. However, since
> he so gallantly insist, I will step in his office tomorrow for proof
> of concept.

I took the uhtest-body.tex file and created three new files
(uhtest-chap-1.tex, uhtest-chap-2.tex, uhtest-chap-3.tex) and then replaced
the following line:

\include{uhtest-body}

with

\include{uhtest-chap-1}