Re: latex uhm thesis

Robert S Brewer

Jan 12, 2012, 3:36:05 PM1/12/12
to Adam Kearney, latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
> Hi Robert,
>
> My name is Adam Kearney and I am a Mechanical PhD student at UH. I
> found a link to through google code to a latex file setup for a UH
> thesis. I was wondering if there was a more recent one then from 1998
> as I seem to get some errors when I try to use the make file. I am
> kind of new to latex so a lot of the errors are meaningless to me. I
> was just curious if it was an old version issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam

Hello Adam. I've Cc'ed your email to the mailing list for discussion
of the thesis style.

The version of the thesis style available for download on the Google
Code site is quite old, however it should work (I'm using it for my
dissertation right now). Several people have used this style file to
produce theses that were accepted by UHM Grad Division.

Mark Stillwell made a new style file that is more modern, but it is
still experimental at this point. That version is available directly
from the source code repository on Google Code, but we haven't made it
available as a downloadable archive at this point.

I recommend you join the mailing list and post the errors you are
getting. It may be that you are running into other LaTeX problems that
are unrelated to the style file.

--
Robert Brewer
http://excitedcuriosity.wordpress.com/

Robert S Brewer

Apr 11, 2012, 12:53:18 AM4/11/12
to latex-uhm-th...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Robert S Brewer <rbr...@lava.net> wrote:
[...]

> Mark Stillwell made a new style file that is more modern, but it is
> still experimental at this point. That version is available directly
> from the source code repository on Google Code, but we haven't made it
> available as a downloadable archive at this point.

I've gone ahead and made a beta release of the new class, version
2.0.0. You can find it on the Downloads tab of the Google Code site:

http://code.google.com/p/latex-uhm-thesis/downloads/list

It's not featured on the home page because it needs more testing.

This was a complete rewrite of the class, so you'll notice that things
look different. It should be more compatible and less likely to throw
errors when using with more modern LaTeX packages. Use it at your own
risk (as always), and report back any problems you encounter. Note
that the class name was "uhthesis2e" and the new one is just
"uhthesis", so you can actually keep both classes around if you want
to experiment with switching between them.

Grad division updated the style manual in Sep 2010, which is after the
last revision to the class. Therefore, there are probably changes that
should be made to the class file based on the revised guide. I haven't
done that yet, and I'm not sure when I will do so at this point.
However, the 1.1.0 release was last modified even earlier, so that's
not really a difference between the versions.