laslook on platforms other than Windows

Albert GODFRIND

Feb 16, 2023, 3:02:44 AM2/16/23
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
I saw the availability of the new laslook tooling. Unfortunately, it is only available on Windows. Is there any plan to port it to other platforms (macOS, Linux …) ?

I have no idea how laslook is architected, specifically on that toolkit it depends for the GUI, and I can imagine that porting to a different toolkit may be costly.

Albert
--
Albert Godfrind
albert....@oracle.com

Jochen Rapidlasso

Feb 16, 2023, 3:09:38 AM2/16/23
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Albert,
thanks for trying out laslook.
In past LAStools was a windows tool. So most of our customers are windows users. Last year we started to port the non-open-source part of LAStools to linux due customer requests. Those users wanted to use LAStools in a cloud/server infrastructure  without GUI. So right now we have not much request to du GUI on other systems than windows.
Anyway: We like linux and macOS - so may we start a port to those systems also for the GUI. But for sure this will take some time.
Some improvements on the windows version will be first to make the software even better.

Best regards,

Jochen @rapidlasso