Las2Dem Understanding and Issues

Glen Franklin

Jul 29, 2021, 1:30:22 PM7/29/21
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hello,

Im a novice usser of LAStools and am searching for a solution to create a DSM from an aerial LiDAR unit.  I have been able to read/view and split the files. However,  when I use LAS2DEM, I get some very unusual results with the TIFS. Essentially all the tifs tend to overlap in odd areas and have poor results. Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction? I imagine I have some settings off in which I need to learn. Please see photos below.

LAS2DEMERROR.JPG
DESIREDOUTPUT.JPG

Martin Isenburg

Jul 29, 2021, 1:43:20 PM7/29/21
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

The usual way to create DEM from LiDAR uses a workflow with "buffered tiles". This is described here:

https://rapidlasso.com/2015/08/07/use-buffers-when-processing-lidar-in-tiles/

Then you do not get these "overlaps" in the raster like you are getting. You seem to be splitting the points in a way that they create overlapping rasters.

Regards,

Martin

--
Download LAStools at