Lasclip not working consistently

James Carracher

Feb 2, 2023, 1:14:16 AM2/2/23
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi,

So I have a script that I run reasonably frequently on 50GB chucks of mobile lidar data. The script takes a line (the trajectory) of where the lidar has driven and buffers it in FME automatically. Then it uses that in a lasclip to get rid of anything outside the buffer.

Normally this process would take at most half an hour. However, for the current data set it is taking a VERY long time. As in it is barely half way through after two days and the messages in the command line are just cycling through "WARNING...Using brute_locate".

Does anyone know why this is and how I could fix it? I have tried making the shapefile manually in other programs and changing settings but no luck. Nothing makes if faster

My FME script is:
Generaliser > bufferer > dissolver > geometry validator > writer

And lastools
lasclip -cpu64 -i %WORK_DIRECTORY%\temp12_pre2\*.laz ^
    -ignore_class 0 1 15 16 17 18 19 21 22 25 ^
    -poly %WORK_DIRECTORY%\_Input_comps\Rail_clip_0-1.shp ^
    -interior ^
    -donuts ^
    -classify_as 11 ^
    -odir %WORK_DIRECTORY%\temp13_rail1 -olaz ^
    -cores %NUM_CORES%

Any help would be appreciated

Möst, Karin (LDBV)

Feb 2, 2023, 2:04:20 AM2/2/23
to last...@googlegroups.com

Hi James,

did you check the coordinate system. Maybe run lasinfo first

Regards

Karin

--
Download LAStools at
https://rapidlasso.de

James Carracher

Feb 2, 2023, 3:48:17 AM2/2/23
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karin,
Yes, I've checked the coordinate system of both the point cloud and the shape file
Thanks

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lastools/b8857113f8004121b2e5ff39ded78bd6%40ldbv.bayern.de.

James Carracher

Feb 12, 2023, 3:25:22 PM2/12/23
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Does anyone else have any ideas? I haven't been able to solve this problem. For this dataset the clipping takes an inexplicably long time compared to other similar datasets
Regards