Extract points in a neighborhood, with maximum

Andrew Kirmse

Jun 21, 2024, 1:56:23 AMJun 21
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
I'm interested in extracting the heights of mountaintops.  I have LAS data, and a 1m DEM that was generated from the LAS data's ground points, and I have coordinates that are near the summit.  However, sometimes the ground classification is wrong, so I would like to find the maximum elevation of LAS points near the summit coordinates.

I have:

- LAS file
- Summit coordinates
- Radius R (~10 meters or so)
- Filter (e.g. -keep_class 2, or maybe no filter to include unclassified points)

and I want

- xyz of highest point in file within R of summit coordinates

Can this be done with some combination of lasprobe and other tools?   It would also be OK to extract all of the points in the radius, as it would then be simple to sort them by z and take the maximum.

---Andrew

Andrew Kirmse

Jun 22, 2024, 9:21:17 AMJun 22
to last...@googlegroups.com
To answer my own question in case anyone is interested, this is pretty easily done:

las2las64 -i input.laz -keep_circle 584125 4997002 10 -keep_class 2 -stdout | las2txt64 cut.laz -stdout | sort -n -k 3 | tail -1 | cut -f 3 -d" "

--
Download LAStools at
https://rapidlasso.de