Canopy height metric calculation

Jake Lamkey

Feb 8, 2023, 3:54:47 PM2/8/23
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
I can calculate a Canopy height metric (CHM) .tif file from a DEM file from (cloud compare) and a Digital surface model (DSM from trueview evo) by subtracting DEM from DSM in QGIS. I was wondering if we could use lascanopy to get a .tif file that would be the equivalent to this CHM file. I would like to ask before we pay for anything.

I have the following code ready to use to get the CHM file from lascanopy, if I'm understanding this correctly. I'm not sure how to default the output file to .tif for batch processing the *.tif could be wrong in the code.

cd C:/Users/Admin/Downloads/LAStools/LAStools/bin
lascanopy -i *.las -min -max -avg -o *.tif

I also read the following blog from one of the lastools conversations about using demzip. I can't open the link to look at it. So I would want the chm output of this in a .tif format if that's possible.
Jul 29, 2019, 5:23:46 AM

to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

you can find the newest demzip prototype and a README in the latest version of LAStools (190728).
http://lascloud.com/download/demzip_README.txt

The typical use would be for DEM, DTM, DSM, CHM, metrics, and GEOID difference rasters.

C:\software\LAStools\bin>demzip -h

Jochen Rapidlasso

Feb 8, 2023, 4:00:05 PM2/8/23
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Jake,
those are quite old links you have there.
lascanopy should do what you want to do,
please download latest version at

demzip is still part of the download package.
May also use the new LAStools workbench to browse the current documentation and do tests with lascanopy

Best regards,

Jochen @rapidlasso