UnicodeDecodeError

Apolline Troyes

Oct 6, 2022, 3:33:32 AM10/6/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi everyone! I can't run LAStools because of a UnicodeDecode error, which has already been discussed in the group.
I have looked at the solutions proposed on the forum and tried them all, but nothing helps, the error always comes back.

As indicated in this discussion (https://groups.google.com/g/lastools/c/OPOqgEDG1Vk/m/R1ijzqS-AwAJ) I deleted the last line of LAStoolsUtils.py and here is the error code:
test1.png

Then, as in the discussion (https://groups.google.com/g/lastools/c/yr9a4oFAsHk), I replaced the last line with the two proposals and here are the results:
test2.png
test4.1.png
test4.2.png

Finally, I made sure to extract the LAStools folder in the shortest possible path:
Capture d’écran 2022-10-05 164225.png

Could you please help me! Thanks in advance!  And sorry for this newbie question

Regards
Apolline

Jochen Rapidlasso

Oct 6, 2022, 3:42:08 AM10/6/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Lina,
this does not look that bad.
You intend to start lasview and it startetd, as your log show. lasview does not generate any output - it just should show your LAS/LAZ file on your screen.
Can you try another tool, e.g. las2las?
If it does not work please send me (or append here) your  LAStoolsUtils.py file and I will have a look at it.

Best regards,

Jochen @rapidlasso

Apolline Troyes

Oct 7, 2022, 2:50:55 AM10/7/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi and thank you for your answer!

Tried las2las_filter and the error is still  the same:

test1.png
Here is the LAStoolsUtils.py file.

Thank you!
LAStoolsUtils.py

Jochen Rapidlasso

Oct 7, 2022, 3:01:33 AM10/7/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Apolline,
thanks for sending me the py file.
As I see there, there is still the last line wrong:
According to the post you mentioned please try to change the last line:
<<
If you remove the line I gues the output is suppressed - may you try the line:
 feedback.pushConsoleInfo(output)
or
 feedback.pushConsoleInfo(output.decode('UTF-8','ignore')

Please try this options.
If this don't work please send me the output of each try so I can have a closer look.

Best regards,

Jochen @rapidlasso

Apolline Troyes

Oct 7, 2022, 9:00:35 AM10/7/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
When I replace the last line with the first option ( feedback.pushConsoleInfo(output) ), the error is:
test3.png

And with the second option ( feedback.pushConsoleInfo(output.decode('UTF-8','ignore') ) QGIS doesn't seem to load LAStools at all and the Python error is:

test2.png

Thanks a lot for helping!
Apolline

Jochen Rapidlasso

Oct 7, 2022, 9:03:16 AM10/7/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Apolline,
we're getting closer...
please try the 2nd one again with a closing bracket at the far end - it must be:
feedback.pushConsoleInfo(output.decode('UTF-8','ignore'))
sorry - it was my fault :)

Best regards,

Jochen @rapidlasso