lassort -gps_time crash

Barbara Hofmann

Oct 23, 2017, 10:09:16 AM10/23/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi all,

I have a problem with lassort.

My data set consists of 2000+ tiles which have been processed using a combination of lastools and terra scan, both commercially licensed. Somewhere along the line some of our files corrupted and we are attempting to fixing them through
lassort -gps_time ....
and a couple of other steps

This approach works great for 1998 of the files but lastools crashes on the lassort step with the standard pop up message on 2 files. I have looked at the files and cannot find any reason why there should be a problem. It works fine without the -gps_time flag.

Does anyone know what the cause for this problem could be?

Many thanks,

Barbara

Kirk Waters - NOAA Federal

Oct 23, 2017, 11:01:55 AM10/23/17
to last...@googlegroups.com
Barbara,
You might check if those two files are larger than the others. I think lassort is doing an in core heap sort and can run out of memory. Just a guess. I suspect Martin would need access to one of the files to diagnose.

--
Sent from a mobile device subject to autocorrect errors.

Barbara Hofmann

Oct 24, 2017, 3:51:10 AM10/24/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Kirk,

thanks for the reply. I thought that too but the files are not particularly big (72408 records, 208KB). Larger files have worked just fine.
I've attached a sample file.

Thanks,

Barbara
578000_6149000.laz

Barbara Hofmann

Oct 25, 2017, 4:01:11 AM10/25/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
We solved the mystery just in case somebody is wondering.
I had duplicated points in those files which apparently causes problem for lassort.
Once I removed them everything worked as expected.

Thanks,

Barbara

Eduardo Marques

Mar 23, 2020, 2:08:37 PM3/23/20
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hey Barbara,

I get the same problem, and so far, removing the duplicates are working for me also.

Thanks for the topic.

Irf

Apr 21, 2020, 12:36:40 AM4/21/20
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Barbara,
Thanks for sharing your solution. I have noticed that duplicate point could be problematic sometimes - especially with Terrestrial Laser Scanning data, which makes me conclude that it's a good practice to include cleaning-via-lasduplicate a part of the workflow. Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Irf

Martin Isenburg

Jul 11, 2021, 8:42:43 PM7/11/21
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

Thanks for this feedback. What happens in the presence of excessive duplicate points is that the quick sort routine fails with a stack overflow. In the future versions of lassort this error will be caught and aborted in a controlled manner with the suggestion to use lasduplicate to check for excessive duplicate points.

Regards,

Martin

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lastools/631035bb-593a-466c-b527-a379aab44e3c%40googlegroups.com.