Point Cloud filtering

Michaela Smitas-Kraas

Feb 6, 2023, 10:35:03 AM2/6/23
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi!

I have LAS point cloud files of shrubs and a bit of surrounding ground vegetation. I'd like to edit the point clouds so that the surrounding ground vegetation is no longer there. Can someone please help me?

Thank you,

Michaela

James Carracher

Mar 2, 2023, 2:02:27 AM3/2/23
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Michaela,
Depending on how your las files were created you could classify the point cloud, and then remove the vegetation classes by dropping as appropriate with las2las.
Or even just use lasground and get rid of anything that isn't classified
There are some examples of classification in the lastools directory (Probably C:\Program Files\Lastools\example_batch_scripts)

Jorge Delgado García

Mar 2, 2023, 3:23:58 PM3/2/23
to last...@googlegroups.com
As James says, the first thing you need to do is to classify your point cloud, once you can differentiate the ground points (2) from the rest, and you are able to establish which points are vegetation you can differentiate them according to the height with respect to the terrain and filter them easily. You can do that with lasheight by selecting only the classified points with vegetation and within them the ones with the height you want to remove.

I hope this is helpful, and if you still have problems please send us a file and tell us exactly what you want to remove and what you want to keep.

Jorge

--
Download LAStools at
https://rapidlasso.de