Capture lasview output as an image (screen capture)

Brent Edwards

Feb 28, 2019, 4:51:20 PM2/28/19
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
I would like to know if it is possible to capture or save the lasview display as an image? My idea is to loop through a set of LAS files and save the lasview display as an image.

I have checked the README and there doesn't seem to be a switch to do this directly through the command call. If this is not possible through a command switch, I would like to know if anyone has a scripted solution?

Thanks!

Sam Hackett

Mar 2, 2019, 6:25:10 AM3/2/19
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Interesting idea. If you want to generate a top down image of each tile then lasgrid may be the better option. You can output raster formats and you can select the type of info to read for for the raster. Examples could be coloured by intensity or classification. Also could be coloured by height, or with lasheight included could be height above ground.

Lots of options.

Regards
Sam

Brent Edwards

Mar 2, 2019, 7:53:17 PM3/2/19
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Thanks for the response. I'm aware of lasgrid and use it regularly. I would however like to capture oblique and profile views using the -kamera parameters.

Marcel

Jun 2, 2021, 2:28:20 PM6/2/21
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Thumbs up for the idea! Especially for getting non-nadir views.

@Martin: are there plans to provide such a feature?

Cheers,
Marcel

Martin Isenburg

Jun 4, 2021, 8:56:12 AM6/4/21
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

I just added this feature in a simplistic way producing the *.ppm format. Use Irfanview to convert to JPG:

Press 'D' to save the current view (<SHIFT> + <d>).

Regards,

Martin

--
Download LAStools at
http://lastools.org

Marcel

Jun 4, 2021, 12:52:52 PM6/4/21
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Thanks Martin, it works great!

Would you consider adding this feature as a parameter, so we could run something like:
"lasview -i my_cloud.laz -kamera 0 -90 -30 0 0 1.5 -screenshot my_image.ppm -closeviewer" ,
i.e. "save the image for this camera view and close the viewer directly after"?

Kind regards,
Marcel

Martin Isenburg

Jun 6, 2021, 11:20:22 AM6/6/21
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

and then run

E:\LAStools\bin>lasview -i ..\data\fusa.laz -screenshot fusa.ppm
saved to file 'fusa.ppm'

Regards,

Martin

brent.m...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2021, 12:06:11 PM7/21/21
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi,

The dropbox link is no longer accessible. Could you please reshare the script?

Thanks!

Martin Isenburg