las2txt cannot access attributes over 9

Colin Flynn

Dec 21, 2022, 2:49:03 AM12/21/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
I am trying to use las2txt to create txt file with the gps time, attribute3 and attribute13.
I understand I can get gps time and attribute3 with:

las2las -i in_las.las -parse t3

However, when I try to get attribute13 with:

las2las -i in_las.las -parse t313

I of course get time, attribute3, attribute1, attribute3.

In the las2txt README I found that you can get the extra bytes beyond 9, here is a pasted section from the README:
The other supported entries are:
  x : <x> coordinate
  y : <y> coordinate
  z : <z> coordinate
  t : gps <t>ime
  R : RGB <R>ed channel
  G : RGB <G>reen channel
  B : RGB <B>lue channel
  I : N<I>R channel of LAS 1.4 point type 8
  s : <s>kip a string or a number that we don't care about
  i : <i>ntensity
  a : scan <a>ngle
  n : <n>umber of returns of that given pulse
  r : number of <r>eturn
  h : with<h>eld flag
  k : <k>eypoint flag
  g : synthetic fla<g>
  o : <o>verlap flag of LAS 1.4 point types 6, 7, 8
  l : scanner channe<l> of LAS 1.4 point types 6, 7, 8
  E : terrasolid <E>hco Encoding
  c : <c>lassification
  u : <u>ser data
  p : <p>oint source ID
  e : <e>dge of flight line flag
  d : <d>irection of scan flag
  0-9 : additional attributes described as extra bytes (0 through 9)
  (13) : additional attributes described as extra bytes (10 and up)
  H : a hexadecimal string encoding the RGB color
  J : a hexadecimal string encoding the intensity

If I try running this:
las2las -i in_las.las -parse t3(13)

I get this error: ERROR: cannot understand argument '13'

Does anyone know how to format the -parse command to retrieve that attribute?

Thank you!
Colin Flynn

Jochen Rapidlasso

Dec 21, 2022, 4:27:35 PM12/21/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Colin,
I just checked:
las2txt -i cube.laz -o cube.txt -parse t3(13)
works: It writes time, attribute 3 and 13 to the text file.
Please try las2txt instead of las2las.
If it does not work: Please provide a small sample and I will analyze it.

Thanks,

Jochen @rapidlasso

Colin Flynn

Mar 3, 2023, 1:55:18 AM3/3/23
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Thank you Jochen, that worked!