should we widen the scope of this collection ?

headcase

Feb 3, 2010, 10:25:55 AM2/3/10
to Last Verse
After the early surge of enthusiasm, the submissions seem to have
slowed to a trickle. Should we expand the remit of this site to
accept short choral pieces, chants, etc? Personally, I'm finding it
fascinating to see what comes in and will enjoy the opportunity to put
some of the last verses/introductions and descants to good use.

Alternatively, might we have a second site for other choral/organ
works/hymn tunes/chants ?

What do other group members think ?

Jason Smart

Feb 3, 2010, 1:26:39 PM2/3/10
to Last Verse
I don't know how these groups work. Can the list owner create
different folders for the different types of composition? (Last verses
in one, descants in another etc.) If so, then why not? However, unless
there is some way of compartmentalising the contributions, I think
that expanding the scope of the site would just eventually make
whatever you are looking for more difficult to locate. It would dilute
the site. On balance, I think a separate site for choral compositions
might be more appropriate.

However, is there any call for it? There does not seem to have been a
lot of interest in this site. Only seven people have contributed and
feedback too has been markedly absent. Is it a case of "if you can't
say anything good, don't say anything at all"?

Stephen Barber

Feb 3, 2010, 2:35:27 PM2/3/10
to last-verse
I think it was another of those good ideas, welcomed with wild enthusiasm by all, but actually not so wonderful after all! (Like the plans to make a "forum member CD".)

I have lots of descants and last verses on computer but I'm not going to put anything else on unless it becomes more widely used. (It just seems too much like self-promotion!)

I suspect a group for anthems would be just the same.

Stephen Barber

Jason Smart

Feb 3, 2010, 7:55:04 PM2/3/10
to Last Verse
Yes, that's how I feel!

On 3 Feb, 19:35, Stephen Barber <stephenbar...@cantab.net> wrote:

<snip>

> I have lots of descants and last verses on computer but I'm not going to put
> anything else on unless it becomes more widely used. (It just seems too much
> like self-promotion!)

<snip>

SRA88

Feb 4, 2010, 12:38:11 PM2/4/10
to Last Verse
Perhaps some have material but are somewhat reserved about posting it
on here for fear of criticism, or it could well be that some (but not
all), and I fall into this category, have uploaded all of their oeuvre
that they think worthwhile. Whilst this site is an excellent idea,
and I thank its creator, I doubt anyone has specially composed
anything just to upload here yet.

S.