Email issues 8.6 - Failed to connect...

Jim Sheffer

May 25, 2011, 8:49:30 AM5/25/11
to la...@lists.lassosoft.com
Hello all-

First off:

Mac 10.6
Lasso 8.6

Email_send tag:
Email_Send(
-host='smtp.gmail.com',
-port=587,
-ssl=true,
-to=(var:'email'),
-From='xxxxx',
-subject=(var:'subject'),
-body=(var:'body'),
-username='xxxxx',
-password='xxxxx',
);

I have a client that recently switched from using our email servers to using gmail for outgoing emails from the system.

I switched all the host parameters where we had an email_send tag and all looked good.
Now, twice in as many weeks, emails from the system have not gotten out, with the following error:

Message: SMTP: [172] Failed to connect to host "smtp.gmail.com".

The first time I was unaware of the problem so I don't know how it resolved itself (It happened over about a 12 hour period). This last time it seems a server restart (Not just Lasso although I didn't try this so it may have also fixed the issue) "may" have fixed the issue (I was doing several things so I'm not 100% sure it was the restart but think so). Now it seems all "current" emails are going out (not the ones stuck in the queue from before).

I was wondering if this is the "DNS Deafness" issue. If this is the issue I was thinking that the error would not have the Domain Name in it, unless it grabbed it from the "-Host" parameter in the Email_send tag.

Since all the emails are going through the smtp.gmail.com server, I cannot tell if this problem is isolated to gmail, perhaps being too busy at the time.

All the messages have remained in the queue until I recently "Tried All Queued" messages from Lasso Admin.

Now I see the following error:

Message: SMTP: [220] Host "smtp.gmail.com" terminated connection. [Email_SMTP] Server Error: 421 4.7.0 Try again later, closing connection. (MAIL) s46sm702943yhm.39

I suspect this may be a problem where all the queued messages (80) were sent at once and gmail refused them because they reached gmail's "threshold" of simultaneous connections from one email server?

One last thing-
I just went back to check the queue one last time before sending this message and the queue is empty!

thanks for any help you can offer :-)

James Sheffer,

The HigherPowered Team!

sup...@higherpowered.com sa...@higherpowered.com
Web Design & Development http://www.higherpowered.com
phone: 469-256-0268
"We help businesses succeed on the web!"

Marc Vos

May 25, 2011, 10:21:58 AM5/25/11
to la...@lists.lassosoft.com
Now that you mention it - I checked the mail and all my mail is saying: failed to connect to localhost.
Just to try things, I changed localhost into 127.0.0.1 in the SiteAdmin-email settings. Doesn't help.
In the mail log I see: connect from localhost ..30 secs ... disconnect
and again .. and again .. and again.

When I send mail as a regular user, I see the mail going out in the mail-server's log.

So what kind of problem is Lasso 8.6 having with MacOS 10.6 Server??

- -
Regards,
Marc

Marc Vos

May 25, 2011, 10:32:55 AM5/25/11
to la...@lists.lassosoft.com
After a 'lasso8ctl restart', mail is being sent (with 127.0.0.1)

So now I have to write a deamon that checks if Lasso's mail is not being sent and when, restart lasso. I don't want to :-/

- -
Regards,
Marc

Jim Sheffer

May 25, 2011, 11:16:59 AM5/25/11
to la...@lists.lassosoft.com
Marc-

I noticed the same thing in that I was able to send mail from the Lasso Admin...

Jim

Paul

May 25, 2011, 2:51:17 PM5/25/11
to la...@lists.lassosoft.com

Jim, Marc,

This is definitely something we want to get to the bottom of. It seems
you've already tried a number of initial troubleshooting steps, so I
will contact you off list with some other suggestions.

Paul
LassoSoft Support

>>> Web Design& Development http://www.higherpowered.com

Wade Maxfield

May 27, 2011, 3:41:39 AM5/27/11
to la...@lists.lassosoft.com
On 26/05/2011, at 6:51 AM, Paul wrote:

> Jim, Marc,
>
> This is definitely something we want to get to the bottom of. It seems you've already tried a number of initial troubleshooting steps, so I will contact you off list with some other suggestions.
>
> Paul
> LassoSoft Support

Just to be a mee-too. I've suffered this twice in the last 3-4 weeks but never before that. At the same time include_url failed. Restarting the Site made no difference, but using the stop/start .commands in the Tools folder got me going again pretty quickly.
No need to reboot the whole server.

Lasso 8.5.6 / Mac OS X 10.5.8 PPC.

- Wade

Tom Fortis

Mar 22, 2012, 5:49:28 PM3/22/12
to la...@lists.lassosoft.com
Wondering if there was a resolution to this problem... Currently experiencing
consistent failures with the error: SMTP: [16] Failed to connect to host
smtp.ucdavis.edu

running LP8.6 on Mac OS X 10.7 (Mac Mini)

I find that restarting lasso will generally get things going again, but with
a few random failures.

Thanks,

Tom

IT Manager
UC Davis, BFTV Cluster

Marc Vos

Mar 23, 2012, 2:07:38 PM3/23/12
to la...@lists.lassosoft.com
Hi Tom,

No. But... I found that one cause was a Lasso page in the Events tab that had a coding error sometimes (null with get()). It was all by accident that I had to examine that particular page an with an interactive test I found the error.

Also, once I forgot a semicolon in a scheduled script and did not notice it, but it also caused L8.6 to crash or act weird.

Thus... I checked all my scheduled pages once more and since then the frequency of once every 3 to 4 weeks is now once every 6 weeks.

- -
Marc

Sent from my iPhone