Knowing if a LAS/LAZ RGB (color) is stored as an 8 bit or 16 bit value ?

Albion Shabani

Feb 14, 2020, 5:35:13 AM2/14/20
to The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss the LAS and LAZ formats

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with some LAS/LAZ files.

Actually it is not really a LAS/LAZ problem but some of the LAS/LAZ files have the RGB (color) stored as an 8 bit or 16 bit value.

We don’t know which is the RGB range of values in order to convert in our format.

I know that las2las.exe  -scale_rgb_down puts into the right format if the LAS/LAS file was stored in 16 value.

But if it was in 8 the color wont be right.

Is there any lastool that can tell if the LAS/LAZ file is in 8 or 16 value so that depending on that I can do --scale_rgb_down or -scale_rgb_up

Thank you in advance.

Martin Isenburg

Feb 15, 2020, 4:36:26 AM2/15/20
to The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss specifications of the LAS format
Hello,

I've added new transforms to las2las that are called '-scale_RGB_to_8bit' and '-scale_RGB_to_16bit' and that will only downscale 16 bit RGB values to 8 bit values if they are really 16 bits and will only upscale 8 bit RGB values to 16 bit values if they are really 8 bits. You can download a preliminary version of this tool here:

Regards,

Martin

You are subscribed to "The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss the the LAS or LAZ formats" for those who want to see LAS or LAZ succeed as open standards. Go on record with bug reports, suggestions, and concerns about current and proposed specifications.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lasroom
Post to this group with an email to las...@googlegroups.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss the LAS and LAZ formats" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lasroom/83aa2606-0f1c-4b13-8087-6871a745642f%40googlegroups.com.