how to use project GUID of LAS header?

Martin Isenburg

May 10, 2015, 4:22:32 PM5/10/15
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing, The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss specifications of the LAS format
Hello,

I have been asked to add a function to lasinfo that can modify (aka set) the "project GUID" of the LAS header (that is completely set to zero in all examples I have at hand). Does anyone's software make use of these project GUIDs? Are you using them in your workflows? If yes, how would you like to be able to set them?

lasinfo -i my.las -set_project_GUID_data1 xxxx1 ^
                          -set_project_GUID_data2 xxxx2 ^
                          -set_project_GUID_data3 xxxx3 ^
                          -set_project_GUID_data4 xxxx4

lasinfo -i my.las -set_project_GUID_data1 xxxx1 ^
                          -set_project_GUID_data2 xxxx2 ^
                          -set_project_GUID_data3 xxxx3 ^
                          -set_project_GUID_data4 xxxx4a xxxx4b

lasinfo -i my.las -set_project_GUID xxxx1 xxxx2 xxxx3 xxxx4
lasinfo -i my.las -set_project_GUID xxxx1 xxxx2 xxxx3 xxxx4a xxxx4b

and how should the parameters xxxx1 to xxxx4 be written down? As numbers? As strings? In hexadecimal notation?  Here is how the LAS 1.4 spec specifies them:

Project ID - GUID data 1 unsigned long 4 bytes
Project ID - GUID data 2 unsigned short 2 byte
Project ID - GUID data 3 unsigned short 2 byte
Project ID - GUID data 4 unsigned char[8] 8 bytes

And here is how the LAS 1.4 spec describes them:

Project ID (GUID data): The four fields that comprise a complete Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) are now reserved for use as a Project Identifier (Project ID). The field remains optional. The time of assignment of the Project ID is at the discretion of processing software. The Project ID should be the same for all files that are associated with a unique project. By assigning a Project ID and using a File Source ID (defined above) every file within a project and every point within a file can be uniquely identified, globally.

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso

IMPORTANT: zLAS is a proprietary format. LAS and LAZ are open formats. Some people call LAZ "Martin's proprietary format". That is wrong. LAZ is *not* a proprietary format at all. What does "proprietary format" mean? Here is what Wikipedia [1] says:

proprietary format is a file format of a company, organization, or individual

  • that contains data that is ordered and stored according to a particular encoding-scheme, designed by the company or organization to be secret, such that the decoding and interpretation of this stored data is only easily accomplished with particular software or hardware that the company itself has developed. The specification of the data encoding format is not released, or underlies non-disclosure agreements.

In contrast an open format is a file format that is published and free to be used by everybody.

Evon Silvia

May 11, 2015, 4:52:09 PM5/11/15
to las...@googlegroups.com, LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
I know of no centralized system to lookup or assign globally-unique GUIDs, so assigning one would be completely arbitrary and only useful to the agency that assigned it. Therefore, I opted to simply use the 4th field as a place to store an 8-character abbreviation of the project name.

We have kicked around several other options (date, Unique vendor ID# + projectID# + delivery#, completely random GUID) but this one seemed to be the most obvious and simple, even if it doesn't technically result in a GUID per se.

It'll be interesting to see how other utilize that field, as it's always been something of an enigma to me.

Evon

You are subscribed to "The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss the the LAS or LAZ formats" for those who want to see LAS or LAZ succeed as open standards. Go on record with bug reports, suggestions, and concerns about current and proposed specifications.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lasroom
Post to this group with an email to las...@googlegroups.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss the LAS and LAZ formats" group.

Lewis Graham

May 11, 2015, 5:24:10 PM5/11/15
to las...@googlegroups.com, LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing

The GUID is infinitely useful.

It is guaranteed to be unique across the universe of all GUIDs.

You can generate one using any of a number of on-line GUID generators.

Remember, no one need know anything at all about the GUID so long as the same GUID is used for all files in a project.

Thus if a GUID is properly assigned to a project, all data within that project (all the way down to single points) can be uniquely identified.

Lewis Graham

Evon Silvia

May 12, 2015, 2:20:16 AM5/12/15
to last...@googlegroups.com, las...@googlegroups.com
If I were to implement a GUID parser I would probably follow the hex-based convention set forth in this wikipedia article so that it could accept GUIDs generated (as Lewis mentioned) by websites like http://www.guidgen.com/. Example syntax might be:

lasinfo -i my.las -set_project_guid xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                    | i1   | |i2| |i3| |4a| |    4b    |

Where i1, i2, and i3 are the first, second, and third IDs from the LAS specification, 4a is the first two bytes from the fourth ID, and 4b is the remaining six. The main issue would probably be to ensure you get the endianness right. It's unclear to me from the LAS specification whether the GUID convention of big-endian ordering should be followed for the final eight bytes or whether it should be LittleEndian like the rest of the LAS file - that is, whether 4a should be the first two bytes or the last two bytes.

It might also be helpful to have a command switch to have one generated for a set of LAS files by LASinfo.

Evon

Martin Isenburg

May 15, 2015, 11:55:05 AM5/15/15
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing, The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss specifications of the LAS format
Hello,

okay. I am adding an option to lasinfo called '-set_GUID' that takes in a hexastring. That said, there is still an issue with endian-ness. The GUIDs seem to be defined as big endian [1] but the LAS specification states all fields are little endian [2]. Hence, I am not even sure the current way these strings are reported by lasinfo has been correct all these years.

Are all GUIDs reported by lasinfo in the wrong byte order? I am admittingly much more knowledgable about grilling SQUIDs than being grilled over GUIDs ... (-;

Martin

D:\LAStools\bin>copy ..\data\fusa.laz .
        1 file(s) copied.

D:\LAStools\bin>lasinfo -i fusa.laz -set_GUID F794F8A4-A23E-421E-A134-ACF7754E1C54 -nc
lasinfo for fusa.laz
reporting all LAS header entries:
  file signature:             'LASF'
  file source ID:             0
  global_encoding:            0
  project ID GUID data 1-4:   00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
  version major.minor:        1.1
  system identifier:          'LAStools (c) by Martin Isenburg'
  generating software:        'lasclassify (110920) unlicensed'
  file creation day/year:     40/2010
  header size:                227
  offset to point data:       321
  number var. length records: 1
  point data format:          1
  point data record length:   28
  number of point records:    277573
  number of points by return: 263413 13879 281 0 0
  scale factor x y z:         0.01 0.01 0.01
  offset x y z:               0 0 0
  min x y z:                  277750.00 6122250.00 42.21
  max x y z:                  277999.99 6122499.99 64.35
variable length header record 1 of 1:
  reserved             43707
  user ID              'LASF_Projection'
  record ID            34735
  length after header  40
  description          'by LAStools of Martin Isenburg'
    GeoKeyDirectoryTag version 1.1.0 number of keys 4
      key 1024 tiff_tag_location 0 count 1 value_offset 1 - GTModelTypeGeoKey: ModelTypeProjected
      key 3072 tiff_tag_location 0 count 1 value_offset 32754 - ProjectedCSTypeGeoKey: UTM 54 southern hemisphere
      key 3076 tiff_tag_location 0 count 1 value_offset 9001 - ProjLinearUnitsGeoKey: Linear_Meter
      key 4099 tiff_tag_location 0 count 1 value_offset 9001 - VerticalUnitsGeoKey: Linear_Meter
LASzip compression (version 2.0r1 c2 50000): POINT10 2 GPSTIME11 2

D:\LAStools\bin>lasinfo -i fusa.laz -nc
lasinfo for fusa.laz
reporting all LAS header entries:
  file signature:             'LASF'
  file source ID:             0
  global_encoding:            0
  project ID GUID data 1-4:   F794F8A4-A23E-421E-A134-ACF7754E1C54
[...]

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Jan Depner <j...@pfmabe.software> wrote:
Since some of the JALBTCX surveys are done off-the-internet I can't use that link but I found an answer.  Since I'm using Qt I can just use QUuid and convert to a QString (using QUuid::toString) to get the pieces.  Now all I have to do is throw together a little app that they can use to generate one per survey (and of course keep track of it ;-)

On 05/12/15 10:04, Lewis Graham wrote:

Hello Jan,

Here is an on-line generator:

http://www.guidgen.com/

Second part – she must have duplicated a doppelganger’s  GUID…..

Regards,

Lewis

Lewis Graham

AirGon LLC, small UAS Solutions

GeoCue Group

9668 Madison Blvd., Suite 202

Madison, AL USA 35758

01-256-461-8289

www.geocue.com

www.LP360.com

May 16, 2015, 2:52:51 PM5/16/15
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing, The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss specifications of the LAS format
Hello,

while the definite answer whether GUIDs are big-endian or little-endian is not solved, you can now set the GUID with lasinfo as follows using the latest version of LAStools (150516),

copy ..\data\fusa.laz .

lasinfo -i fusa.laz -nc
[...]
  project ID GUID data 1-4:   00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
[...]

lasinfo -i fusa.laz -set_GUID F794F8A4-A23E-421E-A134-ACF7754E1C54 -nh -nv -nc

lasinfo -i fusa.laz -nc
[...]

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 6:07 PM, Andrew Bell <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Martin Isenburg <martin....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

okay. I am adding an option to lasinfo called '-set_GUID' that takes in a hexastring. That said, there is still an issue with endian-ness. The GUIDs seem to be defined as big endian [1] but the LAS specification states all fields are little endian [2]. Hence, I am not even sure the current way these strings are reported by lasinfo has been correct all these years.

Are all GUIDs reported by lasinfo in the wrong byte order? I am admittingly much more knowledgable about grilling SQUIDs than being grilled over GUIDs ... (-;

The UUID is a 4-part entity, made up of a 32-bit unsigned int, a 16-bit unsigned int and another 16-bit unsigned int, and eight single characters.  Each of the values should have the standard byte ordering for LAS files (little-endian) as far as I'm aware.  A packed structure representation in C is:

struct
{
    uint32_t uidPart1;
    uint16_t uidPart2;
    uint16_t uidPart3;
    char uidPart4[8];
};

In PDAL we read each of the parts from the file separately, properly applying byte ordering as we go.  Note that no byte ordering is necessary for part 4.

Evon Silvia

Oct 11, 2017, 4:58:11 PM10/11/17
to last...@googlegroups.com, las...@googlegroups.com
I, too, am interested to know how LAStools, LP360, TerraSolid, GeoCue, and similar tools implement this.

Also added lasroom back to this email chain.

Evon

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 8:22 AM, tjorda01 <tjor...@harris.com> wrote:
Martin,
In your example that sets the GUID, there are 5 fields separated by four '-' characters. The first three fields, highlighted in yellow below, map correctly to uidPart1, uidPart2, uidPart3 and are in the right byte order.

    lasinfo -i fusa.laz -set_GUID F794F8A4-A23E-421E-A134-ACF7754E1C54 -nh -nv -nc

However, I'm confused about he last two fields (highlighted in green). How do these map to the 8 character string uidPart4?  Since there are 16 hex digits, I assume each pair maps to one of the 8 uidPart4 characters in some way. Are these suppose to be utf-8 hex codes? If so, "A1 34 AC F7 75 4E 1C 54" appears to be invalid.

How would I set uidPart4 to 'MyProj01', such that lasinfo reports the following?
    [...]
    project ID GUID data 1-4:   F794F8A4-A23E-421E-MyProj01
    [...]

LAStools version = 170828

Thanks
Tom Jordan

Evon Silvia

Oct 11, 2017, 8:55:51 PM10/11/17
to last...@googlegroups.com, las...@googlegroups.com
After a close read of the spec, I'm getting the impression that it was originally intended to follow with the Microsoft-style of UUIDs, as described on the Wikipedia page.

Inline image 1
Since I wasn't on the committee at that time, I can't be sure. If that's true, though, then your letters would be encoded in the human-readable order as defined in the 8-bit ASCII char table (example: http://www.asciitable.com/).

Evon

Lewis Graham

Oct 19, 2017, 11:14:25 AM10/19/17
to last...@googlegroups.com, las...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is correct.

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 11, 2017, at 19:55, Evon Silvia <esi...@quantumspatial.com> wrote:

After a close read of the spec, I'm getting the impression that it was originally intended to follow with the Microsoft-style of UUIDs, as described on the Wikipedia page.

<image.png>