ASPRS LAS Working Group releases revision 14 of LAS 1.4 specification

Martin Isenburg

Mar 28, 2019, 3:18:55 PM3/28/19
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing, The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss specifications of the LAS format, PulseWaves - no pulse left behind
Hello,

it's been many months in the works and numerous discussions and consensus processes had to be completed but now the LAS Working Group (LWG) of the ASPRS has released revision 14 of LAS 1.4 specification.

Core changes are

* Deprecated Tuples & Triples in the Extra Bytes
* New Standard Classifications:
  + 19 - Overhead Structure
  + 20 - Ignored Ground
  + 21 - Snow
  + 22 - Temporal Exclusion
* And many Clarification of Concepts and Fixing of little Errata.

The move to Github which involved translating revision 13 which was a Word document to a number of clean text files under version control that can then be compiled into a consistently formatted specification PDF document was a great step forward. Especially because now all of our discussions and past issues are archived and available for you to follow, read up, and give feedback on:

This was the first release under the guidance of Evon Silva as the LWG and he did an absolutely fantastic job.

Especially the move to GitHub would never have been possible without the great efforts that Howard Butler has contributed. Thank you, Hobu!

We had many fruitful (and also some frustrating) discussions but in the end it was all worth it and I am certainly grateful that I was able to contribute some of my ideas to this process. And so can you if the future of the LAS format matters to you ... join us!

Regards,

Martin
apsrs_las_spec_1_4_rev14.png