Getting started with an old lasersaur

Eamon Carrig

May 7, 2020, 10:24:31 PM5/7/20
to lasersaur
Hello All,

I recently inherited a lasersaur.

It appears to be an early model (with an Arduino + shield w/ one white wire soldered on).

I have no reason to believe it isn't working.

I have very briefly tested the laser tube (using the test button on the power supply) and it appears to work (or at least glow a cool violet).

I downloaded and installed DriveboardApp, and it appears to be running (at least it is serving a webpage at 127.0.0.1:4444)

At first I could not get the serial connection to the arduino to work.

The arduino Uno enumerates as a serial port on COM 5.  I set that in the config.json file and restarted the server... now I'm getting a different error message:

DriveboardApp v18.07
Library Directory: C:\Users\ecarr\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI37~1
Config Directory: C:\Users\ecarr\AppData\Roaming\com.nortd.labs\driveboardapp
Starting server at http://127.0.0.1:4444/
ERROR: Cannot get 'hello' from controller
ERROR: Cannot connect serial on port: COM5
WARN: Cannot connect to configured serial port.
INFO: Trying to find port.
ERROR: No controller found.
How to configure:
https://github.com/nortd/driveboardapp/blob/master/docs/configure.md

If I reload the page I get a different error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "wsgiref\handlers.py", line 86, in run
  File "wsgiref\handlers.py", line 127, in finish_response
  File "wsgiref\handlers.py", line 210, in write
  File "wsgiref\handlers.py", line 268, in send_headers
  File "wsgiref\handlers.py", line 192, in send_preamble
  File "socket.py", line 324, in write
  File "socket.py", line 303, in flush
error: [Errno 10053] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
Exception happened during processing of request from ('127.0.0.1', 55169)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SocketServer.py", line 284, in _handle_request_noblock
  File "SocketServer.py", line 310, in process_request
  File "SocketServer.py", line 323, in finish_request
  File "SocketServer.py", line 641, in __init__
  File "SocketServer.py", line 694, in finish
  File "socket.py", line 303, in flush
error: [Errno 10053] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
Starting to feel like I have a version mismatch or something...

I thought I saw a post about someone maintaining older versions of the software/firmware.

I should say that I don't mind putting some money into this so, if the best way forward is to replace the arduino & shield with a different board, I'd certainly consider it.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Eamon Carrig

May 7, 2020, 10:26:49 PM5/7/20
to lasersaur
Sorry forgot to mention:

Windows 10 Pro

jet townsend

May 8, 2020, 10:10:40 AM5/8/20
to lase...@googlegroups.com
Wow, you found an antique!

I'm wondering if DriverboardApp works with the original Arduino off of
Win10. I would start by reflashing the firmware on the Arduino, it's
probably a very old version that doesn't work with DriverboardApp.

--jet

--
Jet Townsend, IDSA
design <http://www.allartburns.org>