Swap out the Laser tube power supply

Aaron Moore

Jan 30, 2020, 3:12:28 AM1/30/20
to lasersaur
Hi all
I need to swap out the laser tube power supply.  As far as I can see it is a straight swap with exactly the same model and connections.
Electricity is still a bit of a mystery to me and dealing with 40,000 volts is a bit daunting. Can anyone tell me how to do or point me to a tutorial.
Thanks for any advice
Aaron

jet townsend

Jan 30, 2020, 12:47:21 PM1/30/20
to lase...@googlegroups.com
It should be as easy as installation. In the past I've just unplugged
everything, then installed the PSU per the Lasersaur manual.

--
Jet Townsend, IDSA
design <http://www.allartburns.org>

Scott (Strataforma.com)

Jan 30, 2020, 1:47:56 PM1/30/20
to lasersaur
Unplug it and give it a few minutes for the capacitors to discharge, then it should be safe to work with.

The positive and negative high voltage terminals can't be shorted with a screwdriver, since those are disabled until you press the test-fire button while powered on (on the plus side this also means that you won't accidentally shock yourself there). And shorting the input connections won't do anything since the mains and HV sides will be electrically isolated via a step-up transformer. But the caps should drain fairly quickly, and really it's a non-issue at all since presumably you won't be opening up the power supply case.

aaron moore

Jan 31, 2020, 2:17:35 AM1/31/20
to lase...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply.
Ive seen on a couple of websites that there is some asjustment needed to the power output to give the laser a longer working life.?
Cheers
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.