Re: [laruby-books] Digest for laruby-books@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

jjwri...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2014, 3:34:36 PM6/24/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
I have thought of a documentation system where you can lookup and see what gems are available — w/o knowing the name.

Jesse
On Jun 24, 2014, at 9:17 AM, laruby...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/laruby-books/topics

    Cynthia Kiser <c...@ugcs.caltech.edu> Jun 23 10:13PM -0700

    There has been a lot of interest in doing a group project to get experience
    with the tools and techniques we have been reading about. I am game - if we
    can find a suitable project.

    What would make a suitable project? Something with most of the following
    attributes:

    1. Modest initial scope / minimal viable product. The group needs to see
    some measurable progress in a summer's worth of Wednesday evenings. It may
    be helpful if the project has several separable components so smaller
    subsets can work independently on one aspect or another.

    2. A client or product owner with a deep understanding of the problem we
    are trying to solve. That person doesn't need to know much about code - but
    they do need to understand what they need and be willing to describe it to
    the group and answer questions as we figure out what to build.

    3. Something that can be openly available. We will have a group of people
    contributing all of whom need to have their own copy of the code repository
    and test data.

    If no one has a project of their own that fits, perhaps you know someone
    who does. Or is there an existing open source project that might be
    interesting to collaborate on? For example RefineryCMS or ??? what else
    strikes everyone's fancy?

    If you have something suitable - or know someone who does - please start
    discussing your idea here and be prepared to refine it further at our
    meeting on July 2nd, 2014 at Caltech.

    Han Kang <hkfor...@gmail.com> Jun 24 08:31AM -0700

    I've always wanted to build an open-source gem/ruby executable which would
    allow you to migrate to-from heroku and aws. Bonus points if it could map a
    heroku plugin to a corresponding aws service and auto-build it out for you.

    Would be a bit of work, I imagine though..

    On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:07 PM, Jen Diamond <thejen...@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    --
    Han Kang

Jesse Wright

Work blog: http://programmingwithgreybeards.com

Email addresses:
       jjwright55 at gmail.com
       jjwright55 at mac.com
web page: http://meltedmind.com
personal blog: http://jjwright55.blogspot.com/
AIM jjwright55ok
Facebook: jjwright55
LinkedIn jjwright55

Cynthia Kiser

Jun 24, 2014, 9:00:36 PM6/24/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Quoting jjwri...@gmail.com <jjwri...@gmail.com>:
> I have thought of a documentation system where you can lookup and
> see what gems are available -- w/o knowing the name.
>
> Jesse

I usually use a combination of looking at
https://www.ruby-toolbox.com/ and https://www.rubygems.org/ What would
your system offer that those two sites doe not? And how do you plan to
get data on 'all available gems'?

--
Cynthia N. Kiser
c...@ugcs.caltech.edu

Jen Diamond

Jun 25, 2014, 12:22:21 PM6/25/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
That would be most useful. I'd like to be able to see a gem in use before I install it. That would be useful.