Shall we build a group project?

Cynthia Kiser

Jun 24, 2014, 1:13:52 AM6/24/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
There has been a lot of interest in doing a group project to get experience with the tools and techniques we have been reading about. I am game - if we can find a suitable project.

What would make a suitable project? Something with most of the following attributes:

1. Modest initial scope / minimal viable product. The group needs to see some measurable progress in a summer's worth of Wednesday evenings. It may be helpful if the project has several separable components so smaller subsets can work independently on one aspect or another.

2. A client or product owner with a deep understanding of the problem we are trying to solve. That person doesn't need to know much about code - but they do need to understand what they need and be willing to describe it to the group and answer questions as we figure out what to build.

3. Something that can be openly available. We will have a group of people contributing all of whom need to have their own copy of the code repository and test data.

If no one has a project of their own that fits, perhaps you know someone who does. Or is there an existing open source project that might be interesting to collaborate on? For example RefineryCMS or ??? what else strikes everyone's fancy?

If you have something suitable - or know someone who does - please start discussing your idea here and be prepared to refine it further at our meeting on July 2nd, 2014 at Caltech.

Jen Diamond

Jun 24, 2014, 2:08:09 AM6/24/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
This sounds awesome. Sorry I won't be around for it. :(

Han Kang

Jun 24, 2014, 11:31:37 AM6/24/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
I've always wanted to build an open-source gem/ruby executable which would allow you to migrate to-from heroku and aws. Bonus points if it could map a heroku plugin to a corresponding aws service and auto-build it out for you.

Would be a bit of work, I imagine though..
--
Han Kang

Cynthia Kiser

Jul 2, 2014, 7:32:21 PM7/2/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Remember - we are meeting tonight to discuss project options. Please bring your ideas to Caltech, 263 S Chester, Pasadena CA at 7 PM tonight.

Depending on how long it takes us to choose and start defining a project, we may have time to start getting everyone's laptops set up to work on the project. So, if you need help getting your machine set up to do Ruby/Rails, feel free to bring it along.

Cynthia Kiser

Jul 3, 2014, 1:09:28 AM7/3/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Anna, Dave, Elise and I met this evening and discussed potential projects. Anna brought some design books - in particular, one about representing complex information clearly. We all thought it would be interesting to work on creating some data visualizations. If you have a data source that seems interesting, please let the group know so we can start thinking about it. But for our first project we are going to look into building something to visualize rack middleware stacks. We are thinking along the lines of color coding different classes of middleware and then graphing the flow of request and response through the stack. The first steps for those who want to play along are to see if anyone has already done this or something similar, then figure out how we are going to get the list of middleware in an application stack.

See some of you all next week,

ping...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2014, 3:44:58 PM7/3/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, this sounds pretty cool.