Louisiana Renaissance Festival June ENewsletter!

rhight57

Jun 18, 2010, 2:17:40 PM6/18/10
to LARF-ENewsletter
Greetings everyone! We have lots of news for this month, so let's get
started!

Order tickets and passes early and get a discount!
We are currently offering an ‘early bird’ special for everyone who
would like to get their Friends of Faire, Season Passes and Tickets
early for this fall. Order now and save money!

Orders placed on or before June 31 will receive a whopping 25%
discount!
Orders placed between July 1 and August 31 will receive a 15%
discount.
Orders placed between September 1 and October 15th will receive a 10%
discount.

Here is how much you save by buying your passes/tickets this month:
New Adult Friends of Faire Members are normally $100, save $25 and get
them for only $75 (+tax)
New Child Friends of Faire Members are normally $55, save $13.25 and
get them for only $41.25 (+tax)
Renewal Adult Friends of Faire Members are normally $90, save $22.50
and get them for only $67.50 (+tax)
Renewal Child Friends of Faire Members are normally $45, save $11.25
and get them for only $33.75 (+tax)
Adult Season Passes are normally $70, save $17.55 and get them for
only $52.50 (+tax)
Child Season Passes are normally $40, save $10.00 and get them for
only $30.00 (+tax)

Discounts also apply to regular single and multi-day admission
tickets.

The earlier you place your order, the more you can save! Don’t forget
that you don’t have to print out your tickets yet since they can be
printed from our website at any time. That way you don’t have to worry
about losing them!

To place your order visit our QuickPrint Ticket System at
https://secure.la-renfest.com

---

Larry House, owner of Dragons Watch Forge, is hosting an event called
"Fire in the Swamp" this weekend that is open to the public. There is
no charge for attending this event, and food and drinks will be
available. Donations are welcome from anyone that would like to
contribute to offset the cost of the event. It will take place this
weekend (June 19 and 20) from 9am to 5pm at 209 Foxtrail Rd, Picayune
MS. For additional information go to http://www.dragonswatch.com/solstice/
or call Larry at 601-799-0441. If you are available this weekend
please stop by and check it out!

Fire in the Swamp (FitS) is an art show, but it is much more than just
an art show, it is an art learning experience. FitS is a show where
the attendees have an opportunity to participate in the creating of
art. FitS is where young people get to do adult projects. It is a
place where adults get to feel like young people again, feeling their
creativity well up with-in them and they can produce art. Fire has
fascinated man for all time. As man learned to control and use fire
he learned to utilize its characteristics to manipulate his
surroundings and the very elements of the planet on which he lived.
Man has come a long way in creating art with the use of fire. We will
show just some of the many things one can do.

Visitors to FitS will learn how the very clay of the earth can be
formed and fired to be a vessel or a sculpture. They will learn how
the heat of the fire will transform glazes to a glossy water tight
surface. Visitors will learn the Japanese form of glazing known as
Raku. Other visitors will learn to forge iron into art. Casting of
pewter, bronze and iron will also be a part of the demonstrations.
This and other forms of fire related art will be displayed. See you
there!

---

Wine Tasting Tickets are now available for purchase via our QuickPrint
Ticking System by visiting https://secure.la-renfest.com

Madame Ghislaine announces some truly unique approaches to her
exciting line-up of premium wines at the Louisiana Renaissance
Festival!

Three new and exciting ways to explore wines include a deep dive into
the concept of Terroir, an exploration of unusual varietals that you
may never have tasted before, and finally a look at historical wines
and their significance to history's famous and infamous characters.
Madame will also offer classical tastings of old world and new world
wines, and the most popular of all - the final weekend "Best of the
Season." (The "Best of the Season" seatings usually sell out in
September - a word to the wise!)

Madame also serves an elegant tasting plate of fruit, cheese, and
bread. She and that Scottish lightskirt Bonnie McKinlay will delight
you with some special surprise tasting items selected to compliment
the wines.

And those of you who agree that the wine tasting is the best
entertainment value at any faire will be delighted to know that
entertainers including Marc Gunn, Vince Conaway and others will be
there for your pleasure. And we believe the Queen will again make the
wine tasting a stop on her progress around the faire – accompanied of
course by the charming Lord Dudley.

Here are the Winetasting Themes for this year!

Week One (Nov 6/7): Classical European Selections
Taste European wines at their most characteristic - but as always,
Madame Ghislaine will surprise you with new ideas about them.
1. Cava – Penedes - Spain
2. Riesling – Germany
3. Pinot Grigio – Italy
4. Chenin Bland – Loire – France
5. Pinot Noir – Burgundy – France
6. Rioja or Ribera del Duero Temperanillo – Spain
7. Montepulciano or Chianti – Italy

Week Two (Nov 13/14): Terroirs Revealed
The idea of “terroir” – that wines are the expression of the soil,
climate, method and even culture of a particular place - is explored
as we taste varietals that demonstrate this important concept. Oh,
and Madame Ghislaine has a couple of secrets up her sleeve.
1. Cava – Spain
2. Sauvignon Blanc – Napa – St. Helena
3. Sauvignon Blanc – Napa – Rutherford
4. Pinot Noir
5. Pinot Noir
6. Cabernet Sauvignon
7. Cabernet Sauvignon
8. Tokaji

Week Three (Nov 20/21): New World Wonders
If Madame Ghislaine had known how spectacular wines from the Americas
and Pacific Rim would be, she would have told Columbus and Captain
Cook to hurry up! She’ll be just as impatient to share these
wonderful wines with you.
1. Sparkling Wine – Tasmania
2. Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand
3. Chardonnay - Chile
4. Australian Chardonnay
5. Pinot Noir – Willamette Valley
6. Pinotage – South Africa
7. Malbec – Argentina
8. Vin de glaciere – New Zealand or Canada

Week Four (Nov 27/28): Varietal Encounters
Join Madame in an exciting exploration of lesser-known varietals. No
chardonnays or cabernets here – discover new aromas and flavors in
wines worthy of attention. So many wines – so little time! Trust
Madame to help you find new favorites.
1. Prosecco - Italy
2. Gewurztraminer - Germany
3. Viognier – France or US
4. Alberino – Martin Codax – Spain
5. Temperanillo – Spain
6. Pinotage – South Africa
7. Petite Syrah
8. Moscatel de Setubal – Portugal – Bacalhoa or similar

Week Five (Dec 4/5): Back in Time
Taste wines of historical importance and reference – and you’ll know
why these wonderful flavors are still with us today. Find out why
wine was infamously important to the Duke of Clarence, Napoleon
Bonaparte and other celebrities of the past. Yes, there are stories
and secrets – and Madame knows them all!
1. Champagne
2. Pinot Blanc
3. Rhine “Rhenish”
4. Hippocras – hand made by Mme. Ghislaine
5. Hermitage Rhone – Thomas Jefferson’s favorite wine
6. Burgundian Powerhouse – “When Petrarch wrote to Pope Urban V,
pleading for his return to Rome, he noted that one obstacle to his
request was that the best Burgundy wines could not be had south of the
Alps”
7. Vin de Constantia
8. Malmsey

Week Six (Dec 11/12): Season’s Best
Celebrate another wonderful season of wine and revelry as Madame
brings you the best of the season as determined, no, not by democratic
processes but by Madame and Her Majesty the Queen!

Wine Tasting Tickets are now available for purchase via our QuickPrint
Ticking System by visiting https://secure.la-renfest.com
Tickets are $40 (+tax) per seat (festival admission NOT included), and
normally sell out well in advance of the event.

---

We are happy to announce that we have set the themes for each of our
weekends this fall. I know that lots of folks plan for specific
weekends, so here they are!

Weekend 1: God Save the Queen

Nov 6/7 - Join us as we celebrate Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth’s
arrival in the Village of Albright! To celebrate her majesty’s love of
fashions and to let you show off your finery, we will be hosting a
Costume Contest on Saturday to find the most interesting costume! This
costume is open to ALL types of costumes, as long as they are
appropriate for family events! (*1)

Weekend 2: Feast of Fools

Nov 13/14 - Let loose at our Feast of Fools celebration! Imagination
and tomfoolery rule this weekend and folly is encouraged! A
Fantastical Costume Contest will be held on Saturday to find the most
interesting costume! This costume is open to ALL types of costumes, as
long as they are appropriate for family events!

This weekend we also celebrate Veterans Day in honor of our troops!
All current military ID card holders save 50% on their tickets
purchased at the festival this weekend! (*2) We will also give the
same discount to all Scouts that join us to celebrate the contribution
they have made over the years! Free flag pins will be given to the
first 500 folks that arrive on both Saturday and Sunday! (*3)

Weekend 3: Pirate Adventure

Nov 20/21 - Join us for our annual "Dress like a Pirate" weekend! We
will hold a pirate costume contest each afternoon to decide who is the
best dressed pirate! Free pirate eye patches will be handed out at the
souvenir booth while supplies last!

Weekend 4: Harvest Huzzah

Nov 26/27/28 - Bring your family out as we celebrate the Harvest and
Thanksgiving weekend. To show our thanks, we are letting all kids 12
and younger get in free! (*4)

Weekend 5: Highland Fling

Dec 4/5 - Show your Celtic pride and join us as we celebrate all
things Irish and Scottish. We’ll be celebrating the music, dance, and
culture of the Celtic nations throughout the weekend with a variety of
events. Listen to the sounds of traditional Pipe and Drum bands and
sing along with our musicians as they perform Celtic tunes for your
enjoyment. Wear your kilt with pride and join us for our Best Knees
contest! Slàinte!

Weekend 6: ‘Tis the Season

Dec 11/12 - Join our villagers as they prepare to celebrate the
Holidays! The sounds of carols will fill the air and the Village will
be decorated in trueHoliday style to include a Tree decorated by all
of our residents and visitors. Each evening this weekend we will end
the day with our Fireworks Finale with fireworks over the lake.
Fireworks start just after dusk, so plan to stay the entire day!

Notes for special discounts for these weekends:
(*1) Costumes must be appropriate for all audiences, especially
children! If you have questions about the suitability of your costume
please call us in advance.
(*2) One ticket discounted for each ID card presented. ID card may be
active, dependent or retired. This discount is not available for
advance purchase or website purchased tickets.
(*3) Scout discount given to every scout or leader who is wearing a
scout uniform or has some identification showing their affiliation
with a national scouting program. Free camping is also available to
scouts this weekend with advance reservation.
(*4) Limit of two free children per adult. Adult tickets may be
purchased at the ticket booth OR through the website in advance.

I hope everyone has a great summer and I will be in touch again next
month!

Rick Hight
LA RenFest