Section 1 - Contract document VS Contract Construction Document

Tianyi Jiang

Mar 20, 2019, 9:30:01 PM3/20/19
to LARE Exam
Are these two actually the same thing? I have gone through sample questions and I am still confused about them. I do not know in the real test, if they are exchangeable.

Here is the contract documents: " Unless specifically enumerated in the Agreement, The Contract Documents do not include the advertisement or invitation to bid, Instructions to Bidders, sample forms, other information furnished by the owner in anticipation of receiving bids or proposals, the contractors bid proposal, or portions of the addenda relating to bidding requirements.” AIA Document 202-2007 Commentary, Section1.1.1"

AND I know invitation to bid is another thing:

An invitation to bid will include information describing the goods or services required in sufficient detail to enable the bidder to prepare an accurate tender that is in a

prescribed format so that it is easy to compare with other bidders.

An invitation to bid might include:

Letter of invitation to bid.

Form of bid.

Preliminaries (including pre-construction information and site waste management plan).

Form of contract, contract conditions and amendments.

Bid pricing document (or form of contract sum analysis on design and build projects)

Drawing schedule.

Design drawings.

Prescriptive or performance specifications (on public projects, bid documentation may

include an output-based specification rather than prescriptive or performance

specifications and drawings).

Instructions to bidders explaining the bid process.

The timescale for the bid process (including the address and time for the return of bids).

An explanation of how questions will be dealt with.

The evaluation process and any evaluation criteria.

The submission required in response to the invitation to bid.

Policy in relation to alternative or non-compliant bids. (Design Building Wicki)

XH

Mar 29, 2019, 9:29:02 AM3/29/19
to LARE Exam
Do you mean construction contract documents & project's contract documents?

In Hinze book, construction contract documents provides the bond for owner, designer, and contractors to work together, it may include the construction agreement, drawings, general conditions, supplementary provisions, specifications, and addenda. These documents are prepared by the designer.

Contract documents may includes construction agreement, drawings, specifications, conditions of the contract, addenda and modifications.

based on my understanding, these two words are describing the same thing. If they are different, construction contract documents refer to the things prepared by the designer before the construction and project's contract documents refer to something may add to the original document during the construction.

But almost tests won't let you compare these two, instead, there is another one project manual which  includes bidding things and other things. and drawings typically in a separate CD with project manual "book" .

Tianyi Jiang

Mar 29, 2019, 10:18:46 PM3/29/19
to LARE Exam
Hi, Thanks.

I know there is a project manual including all bidding things. So is project manual also part of construction contract documents or it is separate?