Question about easement and eminent domain

Ming L

Apr 16, 2024, 4:29:54 PMApr 16
to LARE Exam
Hi team,

I am confused about when should easement and eminent domain happen during the project process. Should we consider them in inventory or analysis phases? or it would happen when client/government have the site? For example, if a proposed public green park encroaches on a private property, would eminent domain and easement happen during the inventory or analysis phase?

Susan Pegg

Apr 17, 2024, 6:20:25 PMApr 17
to LARE Exam
An easement is noted on the property deed  - so they should be found during inventory and analysis during code review.  Sometimes municipal ordinances have a section for public welfare that notes standard utility easements.  Eminent domain is a different beast.  That is when legal action is taken through the government to seize private property for public benefit.  If the project relies on eminent domain (pipelines, interstates, airports) to acquire necessary property it would likely take years (and to my mind, not be part of the LA planning process.)