My experience with the physical white board

DL

Apr 6, 2024, 11:44:31 PMApr 6
to LARE Exam
I did my Grading and drainage test this week at a test center in Houston and requested to have a white board. The ladies at the test center didn't know a physical white board was allowed. I asked for it, and they said no. I persisted, and they said they'd check. Then they said yes and gave me a white board, a marker, and an eraser.

The white board was letter sized; you can write on both sides. The marker looked like a typical classroom whiteboard marker but was almost out of ink. I didn't realize it until I started my test and didn't want to risk getting disqualified to go out and ask for a new one. So make sure you try it when they give it to you. As the marker tip was so thick, you cannot write much on the board. I had planned to keep some calculations and notes for review later on, but couldn't because the board was very small compared to the tip of the marker (and because it was out of ink). I practiced with scratch paper and a pen.  In hindsight, knowing what the whiteboard is like, I would have practiced just with the digital calculator and comments functions, and only used the paper when absolutely needed.

Not sure whether situations are different in different test centers, but wanted to share my experience in case it's useful for others.

Also the test room I went didn't seem to have A/C. When I was 2 hours in, one test taker went out to talk to the ladies and they turned on a small fan. It was 86 degrees Texas weather. My first test in the same test center was last December and I remembered the room being cool-cold. So next time I'll bring two sets of clothes and change after I arrive in the test center.

Carmen Godinez

Apr 7, 2024, 12:23:58 AMApr 7
to LARE Exam
I just took the Construction Documents and Administration test today and had the same experience! The marker they gave me was quickly running out of ink. Once I finished the test I mentioned this to the staff and they said I could ask for multiple markers next time. It was a little annoying but I appreciate that we can use a physical whiteboard and calculator again! :)
Message has been deleted

Shannon Sylte

Apr 15, 2024, 8:38:34 PMApr 15
to LARE Exam
I think that I failed old Section 4 specifically because they wouldn't allow me to have a physical white board/pencil or paper. A friend of mine had taken it at the same testing center and they allowed her to have a pencil and paper and it's why I decided to take it there--they didn't afford me the same ability. How did you get them to allow for this?

Anthony Dye

Apr 16, 2024, 9:35:18 AMApr 16
to LARE Exam
my understanding is that the physical white board is a new thing - the employee at the testing center told me this week that i wasn't allowed to have one, and i asked if she could re-check the rules because i heard they had recently changed. she looked it up and was surprised to see that i was right

CV

Apr 18, 2024, 12:45:08 PMApr 18
to LARE Exam
Thanks for the tip on requesting multiple markers, I asked for two because of your issue and they were a bit surprised but obliged. My testing center did have fine-tip markers so I didn't run into the marker size problem. I did have some serious issues with one person at PSI insisting that I couldn't have a whiteboard and calculator despite the two other employees having written evidence that I was allowed them. I ended up starting my test without the physical supplies and asked them to bring them to me once they resolved the issue, which they did eventually. I thought they were very helpful to have, so future test-takers, if someone tries not to let you have them and you want them, insist that they sort it out and get them to you.