Question about Plat Map and Assessor's Parcel Map

MWayne12

Jul 24, 2024, 3:17:40 PM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to LARE Exam
Hi all, I am confused by these two.

I came across a question asking "which map contains new property lines of a subdivision". And there is only one answer. But I think both of these two maps show the new property lines.

The correct answer is Plat Map. But check the attached example below, isn't it a Assessor's Parcel Map with the PL?

Thank you!

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 12.12.06 PM.png

CS

Jul 25, 2024, 3:58:07 AM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to LARE Exam
A plat map and an assessor parcel map are both types of maps used in real estate, but they serve different purposes:

1. Plat Map:
- A plat map, also known as a subdivision map, shows the layout of a subdivision or a piece of land that has been divided into smaller lots.
- It typically includes details such as lot boundaries, street names, easements, and other features within the subdivision.
- Plat maps are used to show the legal boundaries of individual lots within a subdivision and are often used for property development and zoning purposes.

2. Assessor Parcel Map:
- An assessor parcel map is used by the local government's assessor's office to determine property boundaries for tax assessment purposes.
- It shows the boundaries of individual parcels of land within a specific area, typically for an entire county or municipality.
- Assessor parcel maps are used to assess property taxes, determine property ownership, and maintain accurate records of land ownership within a jurisdiction.

In summary, while both plat maps and assessor parcel maps involve mapping land boundaries, plat maps focus on subdivided lots within a development, while assessor parcel maps are used for tax assessment and property ownership purposes at a broader scale.

MWayne12

Jul 25, 2024, 7:02:13 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to LARE Exam
Thanks CS.  I got the exactly same answers from Chatgtp. However, I still see the new property lines on a assessor parcel map.

CS

Jul 26, 2024, 2:33:28 AM (yesterday) Jul 26
to LARE Exam
Assessor plat map or Assessor parcel map, will always have property lines. In the case a parcel lot is divided, you will have new property lines. Otherwise I see this as an individual lot at smaller scale.

I read a plat map in a broader sense, a large scale map, where you have a larger scale development, which it is/has been subdivided into several individual lots to be sold or further developed, etc.